Die Filer - have one or insights?

I have an Oliver S-1 die filer and LOVE the machine (link below to my filer). A lot of my projects involve working sheet metal; used to do the fine work to a scribed line with needle files. My Oliver makes quick work of it. I've also made some punches and dies using the Oliver to match the punch (oddball shape) to the die. It cuts square (or angled if the table is set that way as Terry mentioned above) to the surface of the work, no way would I have held to a square edge with needle files by hand. Link to the work I did on the punch is below.

As Terry mentioned above, the files are scarce and expensive. They are called "parallel machine files" or "die filer files". Search eBay on either name and you'll see some options. They are available from Falcon Tool in Traverse City, MI (falcontool.com). Also available from American Rotarty Tools (www.artcotools.com). Also available from Federal File (fedfile.com). They run around $15 each. There's a seller on eBay (kentstools4you) who must have fallen into a slug of 4" long 3/16" diameter round #00 or #0 files. He sells 12 of them for $16 + $3.95 shipping. I bought a batch from him, they work well.

I've also heard of guys silver-soldering a piece of rod stock to the tip of a standard file, then mount that in the base of the die filer so the file will cut on the down stroke. Probably want a die filer with an overarm to do that or you'll snap the file if pushing too hard.

Also, great tip from Terry above about watching your fingers. I did the same thing, touched the file which pulled the skin down between the file and the work which was being pushed into the file. Got a blood blister pinch from the experience. Probably a right of passage for anyone using a die filer.

Bruce

http://hobby-machinist.com/threads/oliver-model-s-1-die-filer.53605/
http://hobby-machinist.com/threads/erector-set-part-number-nu-parachute-men-punch-and-die.59615/

Thought i had beter photos, this is the best I can find.
w4yrJCgsJL-Osd1CcdGFWhVY0FucGzwfkztVIhVLxdcJRRigKQpbS9azNRNYjtyGFapl-0NKH3ltWQ-cuhYp-gD898OBXaqLvi5DDjCO2XcFSH1QzKJbJ1LnSXJUUBK5KZFwsgs6XKnHbxZLSNHSFYLMcly_bOP0FFUb-K3Kn4R5XhA8E3Sm4VtmeKwwfB6cv3cgoQeJeW12lwGBiApUClAElCPr2_sy0TMjfxdxkx3lXsjyq3BeVibDoFn-bTpZ1qw92bDVZra1KEDSYurtWcigwOmuAkBmfmPRWRsOz2nzZnNFVqIdJ0vkBugnvXGSHelEVRUhxLEjs2c_Ss7eFgHIz1macaozwmApKHEHmRroS-0QM7_ol3rdh1VmFu6PAc6GKt0wgQWlj2RSsuEc0x_fvZYTtS43SEzwk4yHqZ89BNsps-zbpawjaAVw6i1AA0IPnhi-hm7VTOu8Px4z-KBJr11wMduyJUrYH3Y_sZGx1g6dLEfVRn_l1rlHl_F_tmE8Q0IEtS-iDKcwHu8XQWI5bNPRSCedij2UWwqGvH7dQOG7kaJoerfBtjT7hOI1rbY8Bh1Xc7h0Lg9nWDVSsiN0c9YmW9u2AUzYjwYd-u5PSt8LWFv9=w1748-h1171-no

I built it quite a while ago, can't remember if I bought the bushing material and hardware but did go for the pulley casting. Its quite heavy and would act as a flywheel. I had this stand, think it was for an ice skate sharpener. I salvaged a little 1/8 HP motor from a small drill press, it mounts under. Could be a little slower, a treadmill motor would probably work well, doesn't require much power.
I've been using regular files, chainsaw files turned upside down work well, I've ground the body on a couple of square and triangular files then JB welded them into a pice of tubing, someone mentioned silver solder, I'll try that.
Guess that stand could do with a coat of paint.

Greg

At the used prices of filing machines it's a better deal building your own from the kit. I use to use one years ago while making tools for myself in vocational school. It sure made working on precision tools better. On my planer gauge for example the cut outs getting rid of mill marks and things like that. Sure made polishing easier. At celmar a shop I worked at we did government contracts for the missile program. We had some jobs with titanium which had to pass finish inspection. The boss said I need these done by morning keep the crew working on them and leave them for the inspector. With a good crew my men and I were able to get them done during our shift but I gave them all an extra hr for working through there break times of fifteen minutes each. So we had proved the second shift could come thru and he could count on me to get the jobs done. He would have left me give them more time working but we didn't want to be slackers. But the filing machine really helped get the finish we needed.

This thread has garnered a lot of good info, links, insights, etc. Thanks to all and keep it coming.

@f350ca - Greg, what stand did you use for the MLA that you built? I like having the motor out of the way and the dust. Looks like you have it under the mounting plate in your machine.

The stand came from an ancient Ice skate sharpener I acquired. There were a few good parts in it. Used the spindle casting for a tool grinder.

Greg

No Alan, I will take one and post it later. It's a great little machine and works much better than anticipated.

"Billy G"

Back