Did You Ever Have a Simple Part Kick Your Butt?

woodguy

Active User
Registered
The short answer to your question is yes. You are lucky it only kicked your butt 3 times. My current record is 6, but then I'm a beginner. In time I'm sure i can beat 6.....

Are you kidding me, Dave????? Just all the time!!!!

Pat

I recently completed my spring center, just like the other tenderfoot machinists. It only took me 5 pieces, to get the two that fit. I was pretty darned proud of myself!

Seriously??? I've got a bucket full of them. Most of them too small in diameter, because I tell myself "I'll just take one more cut before checking to see if I'm close." ::)

There's a little voice in the back of your head that says things like, "better not make that cut quite so deep" and "leave a little more stock when you saw the blank" and "check the zero on the mics and verniers first" and "we really need to measure that before making another pass".

There's another voice, much louder, that says, "come on, gotta get this thing done" and "don't worry, the machine can handle a cut that deep" and "sure, you can eyeball that close enough".

It's taken me at least 30 years to pay attention to that first voice, and I still don't always hear it. Most people I work with haven't been working for 30 years and can only hear the second voice.

Yup, I have had many jobs over the years kick my ass.
But I can say, I screw up a whole lot less these days. I think its part of the learning experiance. Anyone that has the mileage behind them, and are good at a particular thing, will usually admit, experiance we get, from making mistakes.
If your not making Mistakes, Your not doing anything!
We all need to make mistakes, to learn from them.

Lord knows, Ive made more than my fair share

Paul

shadow link=topic=1585.msg9281#msg9281 date=1302211948 said:
The other day I lost a wheel bearing on my little front wheel drive Toyota tercell. I went and got the pats for $75 and had had the boys at the machine shop help me get it done. Well it lasted two days and sounds like the filinstones rock wheels. I can not drive it. the new bearing is toast.

after two days its toast, the last one lasted 194,000 miles.
I know this is like closing the barn door after all the cows have run out, but......

Was the inner half of the shaft on the front hub a little rough perhaps? They are bad for spinning the inner race when the bearings go. You might need a new hub as well.
It is extremely rare to get a bad "new" bearing.

(35 years of turning wrenches for a living - 11 yrs as a Toyota tech.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just like the rest of the theme of this thread - we've ALL been there. So at least you are in good company. ;D

Back