Diamond wheel lubrication

FrankenPC

Registered
Registered
Simple question: Should you lubricate diamond grinding wheels? If so, with what?

Thanks!!!!

What are you cutting and how fast. At work on a surface grinder we set up a diamond cuttoff wheel to cut steel with coolant but some poeple will cut dry if not a fast or hard cut. On my dremel I have one of those 1.5" diamond wheels and I use it dry to cut steel pins and nails but I let it feed without slowing the motor down.

The only time I've seen a wet diamond wheel is when grinding carbide. Off-hand grinding on a bench grinder, or using a carbide grinder I've always gone dry.

pdentrem link=topic=2461.msg16582#msg16582 date=1308363810 said:
What are you cutting and how fast. At work on a surface grinder we set up a diamond cuttoff wheel to cut steel with coolant but some poeple will cut dry if not a fast or hard cut. On my dremel I have one of those 1.5" diamond wheels and I use it dry to cut steel pins and nails but I let it feed without slowing the motor down.

Grinding air hardened HSS on a 6" grinder at about 3500rpm

Last edited by a moderator:
I've looked at some HSS done on a diamond wheel under a microscope. I wasn't impressed. Old tool grinder I know told me never to grind steel with a diamond wheel. I never have.

Grinding HSS? Grinding to shape it or cutting off? When grinding HSS to shape I simply use an white wheel at about 80 grit. At work we tend to use a wire EDM to cut HSS as we use HSS most often for punches in die sets. In making the retracting tool holder in another topic, in the kit there is a supplied 1/4" HSS rod and I used the Dremel diamond cutoff wheel that I mentioned in my earlier post to cut it into 3 pieces to make the threading tool.
I also use diamond insert cutters on certain items turned and faced on the lathe. High speed is required but not used on steel. Steel in this case will ruin the insert.

The topic of diamond wheel/HHS comes up pretty often and is widely stated diamond is for use on carbide, with some more knowledgeable? poster putting forth the 'reasons'! I personally dont know, but taken as a whole, I do abide by the majority in this case and use my wheels for only carbide. Obviously a diamond will cut HHS, but apparently is best utilized on carbide.

As for cooling. I dont recall ever reading of a home shop using cooling on a diamond wheel. Thinking about several of the common home shop tools using a diamond wheel - TCG, bench grinder, carbide grinder (HF), they arent set up for any real coolant use - maybe a drip bottle - and even that seems more designed for the use with HSS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back