Dialing in a barrel for theading

FRIBBETT- The sound made by a frog with a hairlip?

I agree, but you should see some of the books I've read or read the shooter's forums threads on the subject. They don't make it rocket science, they go full on black voodoo magick on the subject. I just roll my eyes and still somehow make small groups in spite of it.

I had a guy freaking go off on me telling me I was a hack and didn't know what I was doing because I dont use a spider at the back . Im like listen buddy I have a 4000 lb lathe with a head gearbox thats 3 foot long that has been indicated every way you can tthink of to zero runout not some chincy ass "gunsmith lathe" with a 12 inch gearbox. My jewel of a Bison 4 jaw has 4" jaws. Spiders are crutches for undersized lathes. IMG_2585.JPG

Indeed! I go to a lot of trouble when chambering, but threading a barrel is a different matter, and the two seem to be confused in this thread. I haven't actually timed it, but I wouldn't be surprised if I spend 10x as long setting up a barrel for chambering as I do for threading, and I'm successful at both. I avoid going into details because chambering seems to be nearly religion with some folks, and misunderstood by most onlookers. Show me a sheet with ten 1/4" groups and you have my attention. Say "shoots well" and well...

GsT

Back