Dial Calipers

junk iron

Registered
Registered
I dropped my dial calipers and now dial is off half round from where zero was. Is there a way to get zzero back on top?

When I bought an off-brand dial caliper a bunch of years ago, there was a small tool, probably .005" bronze/brass/BeCu spring (shim?) stock, shaped like a letter P, with the stem about 1 ¼" long and the "bulb" about ⅜" round. There was a very slight (~.030") length of material folded over at the end of the stem - sort of a flattened-out hook. I had to ask a machinist what it was and how to use it.

The way it was used to reset the indicator dial was to lay the stem on the rack of the caliper, on the side opposite the depth rod, with the hook facing away from the rack. Roll the indicator pinion up and on to the shim, then pull the tool out by grasping the "bulb". The flattened hook would rotate the pinion as it pulled out. I'm sure it would be kinda hit-n-miss, as to how far the hook would pull the pinion, but you could probably work at it until you got it figgered out.

Hope this helps. If you need a drawing, I can probably work one up by tomorrow.

Didnt read all of that post by kd but you can slip a piece of soft "brass" or similar between the rack and pinion to slip the pointer to the correct position.; My Mitutoyo comes with a suitable brass doodad for just that purpose

Cheers Phil

Does the jaws close completely, are they still parallel ?

The mitutoyo is what has worked on my imports.
Rotate the bezel to bring the zero point to the 12 o'clock position.
  • Open the jaws by about 10 to 20 mm and bring the pointer to the zero.
  • Insert the adjuster into the groove which you'll find on the rear of the dial.
  • When you press down on the adjuster, the pointer won't move and you can slowly close the jaws.
  • When you let go, the jaws should be closed and the hand will remain at the 12 o'clock position.

Tried to slip thin stock between rack and pinion with no success,so I took screws out of rack and sliped out rack,slid caliper shut and zeroed, slipped rack back in and it was off .040, slid rack back out without moving jaw and dial, took a small wire and turned dial pinion .040,slid rack back in and BINGO!

when thay happens to me I use a needle puller that I bought on amazon. then I close the jaws and reposition the Needle to zero aa small tap with tiny Hammer sets the needle bill

Be sure the needle on the dial's face is just not jarred loose. That can happen, and has happened to me a few times. You'll have to remove the plastic crystal to get at it, but it can be done (It WAS put on when made, obviously). A lose needle can drive you nuts until you finally realize what is going on. I made a little needle puller years ago to pull needles off without hurting the caliper. I think I left it at work when I retired,so can't take a picture of it.

Back