Dial Caliper Repair Service

canerodscom

Active User
Registered
Hi folks,

Though I hate to admit it, I dropped my nicest set of Mitutoyo dial calipers. They obviously jumped a tooth or two since the "zero" point of the dial is now upside down. More problematic than that is that sliding the calipers open and closed is now much stiffer than it should be.

Long Island Indicator does not work on dial calipers according to their website. Might you suggest another source for repair work?

Thanks,
Harry

Fix them yourself, nothing to it. Use a very fine Arkansas oil stone to remove any burrs they may have acquired and use a paper clip to re-time the needle. The unbent paperclip gets pushed into the slot to the left of the dial and up to separate the gear from the rack (it's on a spring). A couple of pokes while moving the dial usually does the trick.

Hold the calipers up in front of a bright light and check that there is no separation between the jaws, if there is then adjust the gib screws on top to realign them.

Thanks folks

I have done my best and helped the problems, but they still are not like new.

I will call some of the places referenced on the last link.

Harry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done well by this guy...He has repaired my B&S calipers, 1 Alina and 1 Compac indicator after I have dropped them. His name is Mark. Tim
M.R. TOOL REPAIR SERVICE
269 LANCASTER DR
CRYSTAL LAKE IL 60014
mrtool2010@hotmail.com

I was going to suggest looking up Holescreek, but I see he has already been here.

Just two weeks ago I dropped my pair of Starrett dial calipers, the depth measuring rod hit my lathe chip pan and it jumped a tooth. I took the dial assembly off with a jewelers screwdriver and reassembled it with the dial hand oriented upwards and it's perfect now. Keith Rucker just uploaded a video on how to do it recently, I haven't yet watched it but it will probably help.

Back