Designing a wood bench for a lathe

It's there. It's about 6 inches back from the edge. I thought it would be nice to have a little room in front, but if it becomes an issue I can change it.

Okay, just a suggestion. There are times when you need to get your eyes right over the work or over your hand wheels so you can see the index marks clearly. I have some back issues so I am aware of it; may not be a problem for you, I hope.

Thanks for the tip. I may end up moving it, or perhaps building something to stand on. It ended up a bit taller than I wanted. Always something.

On the up side, I did the 2 collar test. Started out about 0.002 out over 8". I got it down to 0.0005 with only a small adjustment. I'm good with that for now. Now to make some stuff other than swarf. :)

On the up side, I did the 2 collar test. Started out about 0.002 out over 8". I got it down to 0.0005 with only a small adjustment. I'm good with that for now. Now to make some stuff other than swarf. :)

Pretty good! I suggest you check it in a month - it will move. Eventually, the lathe and bench will settle down and remain pretty stable but no lathe stays adjusted forever. I check mine several times per year to make sure nothing is out of kilter. There are some hobby guys who are reluctant to buy a decent machinist's level, saying that they'll only use it once or twice; they must have lathes that don't move. Wish I had one of them lathes!

Have fun with you new toy!

Very nice. It looks beefy. BTW, it's a good thing you guys aren't building boats or airplanes...they would be way too heavy to float or fly.

My own South Bend 9A is lighter than this lathe, but it's on the table it came to me with. I think it's been on the same table since the factory that bought it had it in the 60's. It seems to be a shop-made affair. It has a 2X4 wood perimeter frame. The top is .142 thick steel screwed to the frame. No other reinforcement. Steel legs made from angle stock about the same thickness hold it up, and are screwed to the frame. There is no other structure at all.

Since I've had it, I added heavy duty casters. Everything in my shop that can move needs to be able to, since I'm really tight for space. Since it moves around to where I can use it when I need it, it isn't always dead-nuts level. This has never seemed to be a problem. Of course, I'm working in .001's, not .0001's.

In fact, lathes like mine were installed on Navy ships. Ships underway move around constantly and are pretty much never level. I've always thought people get excessively hung-up on leveling lathes.

So, I think you have some overkill going on. Better too much than too little, though.

-Ed

Thanks. I was going for overkill as I would rather only do it once. I also wanted some mass to help absorb any vibrations.

I wasn't too worried about level to the world, other than enough to get a reading on the precision level so I could make sure the bed isn't twisted. And
to prevent round things from constantly rolling off the bench. :)

Back