Depth Micrometer- what size is adequate for a HSM guy??

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
So, they have some good used depth micrometers on Ebay- Starrett.

Some are 0-3, 0-6.

I know what they are used for, but which size is most useful to a home shop machinist?

Thanks!

Nelson

Nelson,

I would go along with Bill:)

Also the difference in price between a 0-3 and 0-6 is sometimes quite small.:)
:drink:
DaveH

I bought a 0-3 on Ebay, but there is a 0-6 for not much more money. :(

Live and learn.

Nelson

0-6, 2 1/2" base Starrett, Mitutoyo or Fowler. 4" base is sometimes an advantage, but for the average size parts a HSM makes, a 2 1/2" base is sufficient. Forget the fancy digitals, or non-rotating blades. At first anyway.

If you have the 0-3", buy just the stems to increase the range.

Big will do small but small will not do big. Again this depends on what you expect to be machining. If it were my choice I would go for 0-6 inches.
It is better have and not need than to need and not have.

"Bill Gruby" :cool:

Well put and I agree with that statement.

think there were some 0-6 mitutoyos for sale down in the for sale section for like $75.

I would get 0-6 then you could use your gage blocks to mic off of anything deeper than that if you have too.
I've had a set of 0-6 blade depth micrometers forever.. I like blade depth mics if i were buying a new set thats what i would get.

example of blade micrometer http://www.mytoolstore.com/starrett/micro029.html

blade micrometers also do not rotate, but you have to be a bit more careful not to bend them while using them. I've had the same set for about 20yrs.
I also got a spare base and wire edm'ed one side of the base off, comes in handy sometimes.

Back