delta 15-350 variable speed drill press help!

Rob H

Registered
Registered
Hi guys, this is my first post but I have read many posts and appreciate all the info you provide!
I recently purchased a Delta 15-350 drill press for $350.00. It is a 3/4hp three phase. I don't have 3 phase at home so I have installed a Teco L510 VFD to convert to run from 110v. The info on that was very helpfully.
My current issues are
1) I am trying to wire a 3 button momentary switch in for Emergency stop/Forward run/Reverse run and not clear how too or where to place the wires in the VFD itself.
2) I also have a tachometer for it and need to mount the sensor and pickup, I was thinking of putting it on the front pulley inside the belt housing? and how/where do I connect to my Teco L510?
3) I have searched the vintage pages and auctions and everything I can find but can't seem to find a production year at all. The best I've found was an auction that said theirs was at least 25 years old. I would like to know the year.
4) With the VFD working I have a small whine in the motor and have read that it is normal??
5) aside from the whine my machine is Very quiet with tons of power. The videos I have watched had such louder machines, am I just lucky? I am wondering if this has been rebuilt because it's like new.
6) I paid $350 for the press, table, material clamp, and everything are near perfect except some very light surface rust (most wiped off with a rag and some oil) and a small chip on one of the three nobs on the throw arms. With the VFD, Switch and Tach I have $510.00 into this machine. It runs awesome and I'm thrilled with it, but how much is it worth really? Some auctions have them in the thousands and look to be far more worn than mine. What do you think?

Robd

For number 1)
I'm going to assume you don't read/write ladder logic so i won't draw it up.

You will need two relays - 4 pole DPDT probably 24 volt. Check that's what your VFD supplies.

lets make this work in steps.
a. wire each relay to a push button so it closes when you push the respective button.

b. make it self latching. put +24 on one of the 4 contact pairs. On the NO side of this contact run to the coil.
Now the relay stays closed when you push the button. test it.

c. put in your E stop. Run the wire in b. though the stop button. test it - push a start button - it should latch the relay. push the stop button the relay should open. this needs to work on either button. Note your stop button is going to need two NC contacts, one for each relay.

d. Now you need to make sure if one run button is engaged it drops out when pushing the other run button. Run the self latching wire in b. through a NC contact pair on the other relay. Do this both ways.

e. test again, push one run button, then the other. the first relay needs to drop out.

f. almost done take an unused contact pair from your relay
. Put +24 on one side and then from the NO side to the forward run VFD contact on one relay and to the reverse run on the other.

Clear as mud???

ask questions?

Last edited:
4) the whine is normal but can drive you nucking futs. If your VFD has a carrier frequency option, try changing that.

The manual I found for the TECO L510 states parameter 11-1 is to change the Carrier Frequency. Default is 5kHz There is some de-rating of the motor with higher frequencies. Try changing this to see if the whine is reduced or eliminated. Keep this as low as possible. I read somewhere older 3 phase motors may heat up more than modern motors with higher carrier frequencies.

The tachometer needs to have its own display. The VFD can show the frequency of the 3 phase output, but the VFD does not know anything about the RPM of the motor.

A local machinist friend updated his lathe to 3 phase motor and VFD. He added a tachometer sensor/pickup and a small display.

If you had a hand held tachometer, you could create a chart of Frequency vs motor RPM.

forgot to answer the RPM thing. On some VFDs, you can input a fudge factor and have the VFD readout be motor RPM. The brand you get at automation direct, GS2 series AC micro drive, has this.

Karl thanks for the reply. You are right, I do not read or write logic, hell I struggle to speak it .
I will post some pictures of what supplies I have to work with tommorow. Maybe then you can give me input I might understand better. I have worked on an rewired manyy things, but I know very little electronically and it's an awfully slow and painfully process .

forgot to answer the RPM thing. On some VFDs, you can input a fudge factor and have the VFD readout be motor RPM. The brand you get at automation direct, GS2 series AC micro drive, has this.
I actually have a separate display for the tach, it came as a kit with the pickup, just want to power it from the vfd.

The manual I found for the TECO L510 states parameter 11-1 is to change the Carrier Frequency. Default is 5kHz There is some de-rating of the motor with higher frequencies. Try changing this to see if the whine is reduced or eliminated. Keep this as low as possible. I read somewhere older 3 phase motors may heat up more than modern motors with higher carrier frequencies.

The tachometer needs to have its own display. The VFD can show the frequency of the 3 phase output, but the VFD does not know anything about the RPM of the motor.

A local machinist friend updated his lathe to 3 phase motor and VFD. He added a tachometer sensor/pickup and a small display.

If you had a hand held tachometer, you could create a chart of Frequency vs motor RPM.
Hi Dave, I actually have a separate unit I am trying to pot from my vfd. the manual is difficult for me to understand where to actually plug it in.

Back