Degree wheel for lathe

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
I am putting this small project here instead of the lathe forum because although mine is a south bend , I think this can be adapted easily to any lathe. I need to index my lathe chuck sometimes so I whipped up this degree wheel this afternoon for something I was working on. It only took a couple hours to make.

I started with a degree wheel I downloaded from the internet and printed it out at 8 inches in diameter (because that is the widest paper my printer will handle). I scavenged a .100" thick white plastic sheet from an old scanner I was throwing away. I cut it a little larger than 8 inches in diameter with a utility knife.

plastic disc.jpg

I next glued the degree wheel I printed on a piece of photo paper. I used photo paper because it is shiny and more durable ( I like shiny things) .

wheel glued on disc.jpg

I made an aluminum hub that fit on the back of my lathe spindle. It is held on with a brass thumb screw I made earlier. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the hub and the center of the disc and bolted them together. Then mounted the hub in the chuck and GENTLY turned the O.D. of the disc.

machining OD of wheel.jpg

The completed disc mounts on and off the spindle in seconds and being 8 inches in diameter it gives very good accuracy for indexing the spindle.

competed degree wheel.jpgFinished degree wheel.jpg

Rear view finished degree wheel.jpg

I have a pointer (not shown here) that is a magnetic block with a pointer fixed on it and I just stick it to the bearing housing.

It is cheap and easy but works just fine. My goal is to find an 8 inch aluminum disc to make one out of.

Mark Frazier

plastic disc.jpg wheel glued on disc.jpg machining OD of wheel.jpg competed degree wheel.jpg Finished degree wheel.jpg Rear view finished degree wheel.jpg

Very nice. I wonder if you could attach another degree wheel to the back side, then you would have a choice as to whether you want increasing or decreasing numbers...

Very nice. I wonder if you could attach another degree wheel to the back side, then you would have a choice as to whether you want increasing or decreasing numbers...

I thought of that but have to look back there to see it. There was a wheel that had the numbers in two rows, one counting each way, but it didn't look as nice.

Mark Frazier

Mark,
Here is a pic of a degree wheel attached to a disc brake on a lathe. Obviously the brake is engaged to anchor the chuck in the position desired. I have a few ideas on how to attach the disc brake to the spindle on my lathe but need to do more research.

Lathe brake  degree wheel.jpg

When I needed one I just got an aluminum degree wheel for cam timing of an engine there pretty cheap.

What is the purpose of this? I'm a newbie and don't really understand why indexing the chuck is important

Regards-Carlo

When I needed one I just got an aluminum degree wheel for cam timing of an engine there pretty cheap.
Exactly what I use as well; I rubber stopper fits the thru hole on the back of the head stock and a magnet holds the pointer.

Back