Default How To Stake Or Rivit A Master Link In A Hyvo Chain

terry_g

Active User
Registered
I recently received a length of HV406 Hyvo chain for the chain case in an old Tucker Sno-Cat. I ordered an endless chain but a 63 link
length plus master links arrived. The master link has to be assembled and the ends of the pins staked or riveted over. The chain can be
assembled on the bench and installed afterwards.

Does anyone here know a method of staking the ends of the master link pins other than using a small ball peen hammer?
The pins are very skinny and about 1 1/2" long. I have staked master links in roller chains in the past the end result did not look as good
as factory but never gave a problem.

This machine is used to access remote microwave sites on mountain tops and reliability is important.

Terry

Dunno...maybe a concave punch? I've used a hammer on things like that, and in must take s good bit of practice to make that look good. Function over form at times though.

I ordered a couple spare master link kits just in case. I assembled the
link and used a very small ball peen hammer 4 oz i believe. I tapped away
at it for a while and the end result was hard to tell from the factory staking.

Terry

There is/was a hand tool available to do this, I bought one years ago from a John Deere dealer. I have no idea where it is currently but if I remember correctly it not only "set" the link's rivit, it would also push it out when you needed to split the chain.

This is not the one I have but similar - http://www.motionpro.com/documents/pdf/I08-0467.pdf

Usually a chain spinner is used to peen the pins over... It basically rotates while pressing the pins into the desired form. Just like a chainsaw chain.

Harbor Freight has them...

John

Back