Decisions, Decisions

Billh50

RIP 2018
Rest In Peace
I have just enough money left to get either an inexpensive digital readout set or a power feed for the new mill. Just not sure which I should get. Both are just under $200 each.
Any recommendations ?

While I don't have either, I would go for the DRO.
What mill did you get?
Which dro / power feed are you considering?

I use my DRO all the time. I could use the dials, but I love being able to find the edges of a piece then hit "CENTER" and move to 0.

I have X axis power feed which I do not use often. Hence for how I work, I would get a DRO before a power feed. Likely others would vote the other way.

Bill, I first must ask if your donation account is still open. I wanted to send something your way, but got tied up on some other things. I still had you in my mind, however.

I would go with the DRO set up first, hands down.

I ended up with one of the taiwanese mill/drills. Capacity and size is equivilant to the G0705. Got a good deal on it since the guy bought it new and never used it. He had it 2yrs and it comes with a 4" vise that is a kurt clone.

Terry, I think they were giving out my paypal address.

I just went back and looked at the original thread, and yes it is there. I need to go to work for a while today, but will be sending something your way before the weekend is over. Keep your eyes open. It will help with additional tooling or maybe even raw materials. The mill isn't much good if you can't make something with it! :)

Congrats on the mill, I don't think you will be disappointed.

DRO lessens chance of miss reading a dial or not getting the backlash totally removed before your cutter touches stock. Sure glad you got that mill.

DRO hands down unless you are suffering from arthritis and are in excruciating pain turning the cranks.

Bruce

Bill, I have the Grizzly equivalent to the mill you bought - or close to it anyway. My power feed broke two,years ago and it's been sitting around on the "need to repair" shelf for ever. I don't miss it much. These smaller mills don't do well powering through big cuts anyway. Hand cranking allows me to judge feed rate better. If it were me, I'd buy the DRO - after a rotary table...

Tlenn

Back