• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Decisions, Decisions

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Billh50

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I have just enough money left to get either an inexpensive digital readout set or a power feed for the new mill. Just not sure which I should get. Both are just under $200 each.
Any recommendations ?

woodchucker

While I don't have either, I would go for the DRO.
What mill did you get?
Which dro / power feed are you considering?

Dave Paine

I use my DRO all the time. I could use the dials, but I love being able to find the edges of a piece then hit "CENTER" and move to 0.

I have X axis power feed which I do not use often. Hence for how I work, I would get a DRO before a power feed. Likely others would vote the other way.

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Bill, I first must ask if your donation account is still open. I wanted to send something your way, but got tied up on some other things. I still had you in my mind, however.

I would go with the DRO set up first, hands down.

Billh50

Active User
I ended up with one of the taiwanese mill/drills. Capacity and size is equivilant to the G0705. Got a good deal on it since the guy bought it new and never used it. He had it 2yrs and it comes with a 4" vise that is a kurt clone.

Terry, I think they were giving out my paypal address.

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
I just went back and looked at the original thread, and yes it is there. I need to go to work for a while today, but will be sending something your way before the weekend is over. Keep your eyes open. It will help with additional tooling or maybe even raw materials. The mill isn't much good if you can't make something with it! :)

Congrats on the mill, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Billh50

Active User
thanks Terry,
It has to be better than my worn out drill press with an x-y table.

FLguy

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
DRO lessens chance of miss reading a dial or not getting the backlash totally removed before your cutter touches stock. Sure glad you got that mill.

BGHansen

DRO hands down unless you are suffering from arthritis and are in excruciating pain turning the cranks.

Bruce

Glenn Brooks

Bill, I have the Grizzly equivalent to the mill you bought - or close to it anyway. My power feed broke two,years ago and it's been sitting around on the "need to repair" shelf for ever. I don't miss it much. These smaller mills don't do well powering through big cuts anyway. Hand cranking allows me to judge feed rate better. If it were me, I'd buy the DRO - after a rotary table...

Tlenn

Billh50

Active User
I already have a rotary table. Bought an 8" from a friends co-worker when his dad died. He cleaned out a bunch of machinery before I found out he was selling stuff. But I got the rotary table and a 4" vise from him for $25

projectnut

Another vote for the DRO. I've had my current Bridgeport going on 20 years. It came from a high school shop without either the DRO or power feed. I did fine for nearly a dozen years without either. Then came the 2012 presidential campaign. I had a couple large jobs to get done so I spent a lot of overtime hours in the shop.

It seemed that in the early evening hours all the solicitors thought it was time to ask for votes. I was getting upwards of 50 calls a day from one or another campaign. I wanted to just let the phone ring, but then I might miss a call from a customer or supplier. Several times a day I would stop what I was doing only to hear another line of campaign BS. Several times I forgot to write down the coordinates I stopped the mill at, so I had to retrace my steps.

I finally gave up and made the decision to buy a DRO. Then it wouldn't matter where I stopped, everything would be saved on the screen. I ended up buying a DRO Pros Electronica EL400 with magnetic scales:

http://www.dropros.com/Electronica_...m#Electronica_Magnetic_Scale_2_Axis_Mill_Kits:

The best part is that when I was talking to them on the phone they guaranteed that the installation of one of their readouts would end all political calls for a minimum of 90 days starting November 7th. I was hesitant to believe them, but it did work. I didn't get another political call for another year. It even had residual value in that I didn't get more than a handful of calls during the 2016 election campaign. Best money I ever spent.

As for the power feed, I still haven't invested in one. It's on the list, but the priority has fallen down somewhat. Now it's a "nice to have" but not mandatory accessory.

brino

Active User
The best part is that when I was talking to them on the phone they guaranteed that the installation of one of their readouts would end all political calls for a minimum of 90 days starting November 7th. I was hesitant to believe them, but it did work.
LOL! Thanks for that........

menace

My Tree 2uvr has x feed built in. No one makes an y or z drive for so I put a dro pros magnetic scales 3axis unit on it. Imho get a dro you won't regret it

Billh50

Active User
Well the DRO is out and maybe the power feed if I can't fix the one someone is sending me. Ran out of money til aafter the holidays. Will see then if I can come up with enough to get the DRO.

[6]
5 [7]