Deciding On A Lathe...

You do bring up a good point, we're all anonymous on the internet and being a newcomer, I don't know who each of you are yet. Other than post history, and looking up what you've shared, I can't know who you are if you've never divulged it. It also goes without saying that the singular opinion is often flawed. My own areas of expertise aren't rock solid, and I've been known to be wrong on occasion.

I do have faith in the community, not this one specifically, but anywhere that like minded people gather and discuss ideas. Where one person is wrong, there's 3 more to correct him, 5 with alternate strategies, 1 old timer to explain why they won't work, and 2 more to argue if and why he was wrong in the first place. As a collective whole, I've seen this happen many times over in hundreds of situations, and usually it pans out in the end. There's also the attention seekers and guys who like to hear themselves talk, but you have to be right occasionally in order to keep talking.

The R/C guy in your example probably wouldn't head here first, he'd be talking with other R/C makers, then possibly the Sherline forums on this site and others, and maybe finally dropping in here to weigh in. He's got a singular purpose, and there's communities out there for him. Guys like me who don't have a dedicated purpose in mind, just random prototyping parts with small production runs and a fascination of the craft, there's a lot of stuff to consider, most of which we don't know until we really get going.

And the main problem with getting started here is the first step is a doozy. If we're skipping over the 7x's and tiny hobby lathes, we're dropping a grand or three on a first machine, either a new import or a used behemoth. Wanting to get one that we won't regret is only natural. What you see is lack of research or instant gratification is merely an appeal to the community. Research is definitely being done alongside it, there's probably much more information floating out there about these old machines then there was when they were new. If you think back 40-50 years ago, there was a few books, a catalog, a salesman, and local machinists you worked alongside of - they told you which you needed and that's the one you got. Nowadays there's the same old books, newer books about modifying and restoration, lots of websites, new vs old machine debates, and countless posts all discussing particular machines, some written by guys who have wrestled with them for decades. But all the research in the world can't beat a few dozen words of encouragement or dismissal from a guy who has used or owned that machine, or has been a machinist for far longer than you've been alive.

But all the research in the world can't beat a few dozen words of encouragement or dismissal from a guy who has used or owned that machine, or has been a machinist for far longer than you've been alive.

We'll agree to disagree on this one. :)

Best of luck in your search.

Guys like me who don't have a dedicated purpose in mind, just random prototyping parts with small production runs and a fascination of the craft, there's a lot of stuff to consider, most of which we don't know until we really get going.
To me, that is the big problem for anyone wanting to get started into machining, for the sake of machining. I don't believe anyone really can make fair suggestions to another person, that they don't even know, as to what machine will be "the best". Doubly so if the question asker does not have a clear goal. This is in no way intended to to be denigrating, negative or personal towards Doc. I have gone/am going through, the same kind of process. I bet a large number of people coming to this forum are in the same situation. I want to make things, but I won't know what they are until that day comes.
I think how difficult it is for someone who has been a great amount of experience machining to offer advice to a noob that doesn't know what they want to do. If you ask that same person, how do I make a 1 2 3 block, they can list off the specific machines, tools and processes that they have experience with, or could conceive using to accomplish that goal.
Also if you specifically ask what experience people have had with X machine, people who have used them can offer input as to whether it worked for them or not. If you say, "I'm really enjoy shooting and am thinking about smithing some of my own parts". Now there is context for people to offer suggestions based on what they used that worked/didn't work for them.
When you don't have a specific goal of parts to be machined, I don't know if there is better blanket advice than get the most substantial machine your budget and space allow. That's basically what I have been doing. I started out with a Jet 9x20 because I got a good deal on it, used it for a couple years and learned what it was realistically capable of, and that I desired to do things that was not reasonable to ask of it. Now I have a PM-1440 E Large Bore and it is capable of more than I am at this point (and I have to park my truck outside). Is there anything wrong with the 9x20 class lathe? Nope, plenty of people do highly precision high quality work on them.
Start you own thread and tell us: What is your budget? What hobbies or neighbors do you have that might utilize machined parts? Do you have ready access to material? What is your shop space (going to be) like; floor type, ceiling height, dedicated or shared space, electrical service etc. A brief accounting of your experience with welding and wood working machines. If you really like the idea of restoring old machines, specify that and make sure to let people know your locality. I'm sure that you will get some very good input.

I didn't know what I wanted getting into this. I have uncles that own & run a family shop that I was talking to about machines I had in mind for getting my feet wet. One told me not to mess with them because they were to small. Another told me he'd like to have that size at home to do small projects. The other one just keep saying it really depends on what your going to be doing. Well I bought the small machines & found they were pretty useless to me so I replaced the lathe 2 years ago & my replacement mill is on the way. I'm pretty happy with my lathe now even tho I still run into times I can't do certain jobs. The mill I ordered isn't exactly what I wanted but I will make it get by until I can add the feature of glass scale DRO I couldn't afford right now. I will build a cheap Android DRO for it like I did my current mill. It looks like I can put glass scales on it cheaper then it would have been to order it with them anyhow.

Anyhow I'm saying there is good advise to be received if you know which ones to listen to. I didn't hurt myself getting small machines to figure out a few things first & the first mills tooling can be used on the new mill so that helps also. I still get a little use out of the tying 7x10 lathe also but it is rare. I only use it when I'm working right beside of it & I just need to spin something that doesn't need accuracy.

This OP gave us some idea what he would be doing tho.

Kingmt01 that is an excellent example of what I think of as a fairly common progression. You even had people that would have some idea what you might do, and got three different opinions of how to start.

zboss86 has long since purchased a lathe and started a new thread, I was replying to Doc Whoops (not the OP).

Yelp. I seen the picture of the lathe he bought. I was just conversating. ;)

Back