DC motor source for HF 44142

Happycamper

Active User
Registered
Anyone know of a source for a DC motor and speed controller for a HF 44142? With reverse?

Yes steal your wifes treadmill and take the motor and motor controller out of it. Then put it back so it looks like it has never been touched. When she complains about it not working tell her it was too bad and that it would cost to much to repair. Then take the flyweel off the motor machine the shaft to accept your pulley and there ya go. Ray

Sewing machine?.......... What's that? And a treadmill? Not in my house! Seriously, I've seen some site, and I thought the company was in Dallas, that sold dc permanent magnet motors with the appropriate controller. I just can't remember the name of the company. The original rating is 1 hp, 1750 rpm, 120ac

Yes steal your wifes treadmill and take the motor and motor controller out of it. Then put it back so it looks like it has never been touched. When she complains about it not working tell her it was too bad and that it would cost to much to repair. Then take the flyweel off the motor machine the shaft to accept your pulley and there ya go. Ray

That's good one, and might be handy in several other situation....:lmao:

I've hear of this treadmill conversion a few times now, does anyone know if this setup allows for reversing the motor:thinking:

I've hear of this treadmill conversion a few times now, does anyone know if this setup allows for reversing the motor:thinking:

I have a 2hp treadmill motor and controller powering my X2 mill. Very happy with it. I haven't found a need to reverse the mill. but it can be done with a Double Pole Double Pole toggle switch. I would recommend one with a center off, has on-off-on positions, to allow the motor to stop before reversing direction.
Funny this should come up. Sunday I bought a 12vdc gear reduction motor (59:1 reduction) for $10, and 2 DPDT center off switches for $4, at the local flea market. Google DC motor reverse switch to find a wiring diagram.

Chuck

I have a 2hp treadmill motor and controller powering my X2 mill. Very happy with it. I haven't found a need to reverse the mill. but it can be done with a Double Pole Double Pole toggle switch. I would recommend one with a center off, has on-off-on positions, to allow the motor to stop before reversing direction.
Funny this should come up. Sunday I bought a 12vdc gear reduction motor (59:1 reduction) for $10, and 2 DPDT center off switches for $4, at the local flea market. Google DC motor reverse switch to find a wiring diagram.

Chuck

That's great thank you, wasn't thinking DC, I can do the DPDT reversing thing but that's about the outer limits of my electronics skills,LOL, I'm thinking of the setup for a grinder, need reverse for carbides, I have a motor now but need a VFD for it, but a treadmill might be easy to find and cheaper, Thanks:))

Watch your local Freecycle. I've gotten probably 6 or more treadmills free from there. Also Craigslist has a free section.
Some surpluss places sell treadmill motors and controllers. In my humble opinion the venerable MC-60 treadmill controller is the easiest to set up and that is what's running my mill.
freecycle around here used to have a lot of treadmills, especially ones that had torn belts or other problems that would not affect the motor/controller, but the supply has dried up. I still check often, though.

Chuck

I have a 2 1/2 horse commercial treadmill motor on my lathe it can be reversed... very easy.. Ray

Found a 90 volt 1hp leeson on ebay that was near me. Got it for 175. Then bought a KBMD controller w the forwrd/brake/reverse switch. Now I need to put er on. On one of Tom's videos he shows a stop switch on his lathe that stops and brakes the motor when threading to a shoulder. The stop switch was adjustable and mounted on the lathe bed. I need to see if KB makes such an item becaused it would be extremely handy in threading barrels.

Back