DC Motor Conversion

QCaudill

Registered
Registered
I made this Word Doc with the wiring diagram, parts list, basic prices I paid and some finished photos of the conversion on my Central Machinery wood lathe from the stock motor to a DC treadmill motor using an MC-60 controller. The control box I made includes a reversing switch, jog switch, pause/run switch, 5k POT and a digital RPM display. I know this forum is for metal working, but the doc should be helpful to anyone wanting to DC power any machine. Some of the information in the file came from this forum, and I want to thank those who provided it during my research; John Herrmann, Forty Niner & FanMan. Sorry if I let anyone out.

I found that tracking down answers to all of my questions when I first started on the project was difficult. The information was out there, but not in one place and not organized. My hope is that this doc will help someone save time when they start researching using a treadmill motor and a MC-60 controller.

The link to the file is below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22075535/MC-60 Wiring Diagram with Options.docx

Quiller

Hey, QC, the link that you provided seems to be broken. Any possibility you could just post that info directly to this thread?

I have a couple of dc motors (both from treadmills) that I am looking to wire up for a DIY 2x72" belt sander. the one I'd really like to use is from a treadmill with an overly complicated setup-- the power supply is connected via a ribbon cable to a digital control panel and optical speed sensor. I'd like to ditch the control panel and replace it with something far simpler, but I haven't had any luck finding enough information to be able to do it.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I have a couple of dc motors (both from treadmills) that I am looking to wire up for a DIY 2x72" belt sander. the one I'd really like to use is from a treadmill with an overly complicated setup-- the power supply is connected via a ribbon cable to a digital control panel and optical speed sensor. I'd like to ditch the control panel and replace it with something far simpler, but I haven't had any luck finding enough information to be able to do it.

If the motor driver board is a MC-2100, which is a very common, it's a little trickier to use than the MC-60 discussed in this thread, but the information is out there... look for my thread on it. If it's some other board, it might be more difficult.

I made this Word Doc with the wiring diagram, parts list, basic prices I paid and some finished photos of the conversion on my Central Machinery wood lathe from the stock motor to a DC treadmill motor using an MC-60 controller. The control box I made includes a reversing switch, jog switch, pause/run switch, 5k POT and a digital RPM display. I know this forum is for metal working, but the doc should be helpful to anyone wanting to DC power any machine. Some of the information in the file came from this forum, and I want to thank those who provided it during my research; John Herrmann, Forty Niner & FanMan. Sorry if I let anyone out.

I found that tracking down answers to all of my questions when I first started on the project was difficult. The information was out there, but not in one place and not organized. My hope is that this doc will help someone save time when they start researching using a treadmill motor and a MC-60 controller.

The link to the file is below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22075535/MC-60 Wiring Diagram with Options.docx

Quiller
I'm on vacation now til mid next week, so not much i can do til then. The doc has photos, with pointers to parts with addl info, parts list etc, don't think it would copy paste directly, but I'll see what i can do next week. The info is only useful for the MC-60.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The motor is 90v, 19amps DC... I'd love to be able to use it. Does anyone know where I can find a variable speed power supply that will work?

Depends on your budget. There is an incredible amount of controllers on eBay that will work for you, I built a DC powered buffer once using such a setup. I also repowered my old atlas lathe using the same (albeit a better DC motor than a treadmill motor). Both machines are using a DART controls dc motor controller, super simple to wire it in, and the lathe controller came ready to use with a for/rev switch and speed pot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Help me out here... what kind of budget are we talking? Would you be willing to post a couple of links to ebay auctions? I am hoping to stay under the $100 mark. Is that possible?

I am also handy with a soldering iron and would be willing to even burn my own circuit board and build something myself if I can find the right diagram.

What hp motor is it we are talking? 2hp? The 19 FLA is a pretty good load, but I doubt you'd hit that running a smaller lathe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back