DC Motor Conversion

At face value, that black box seems to be the ticket. Relatively cheap and has all the options you would want. However, you could build the same thing for much cheaper with just the board and components, if time isn't money in your case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, @Maddogmech1, @QCaudill and @FanMan. A lot of these controllers don't specify input and output power, so unless you know what to look for, they are tough to find. I appreciate your patience with the new guy that can't spot the nose on his face.

The motor I am hoping to use is 1.7 HP. Not quite commercial treadmill material, but I'm only using it on a 2x72" belt grinder, so once I find the right power supply, it should do fine.

I built the grinder from $50 in scrap. The treadmill was picked up for free. I don't mind spending a little on the power controller.

IMG_3036.JPG IMG_3049.JPG

the mc 60 will run the 19 amp treadmill motor, just need a pot 5k, start and stop switch, and a box to contain every thing. Menards have plastic electrical boxes, radio shack for the rest. I made several.

Don't forget the KB controllers, they go up to at least 16 amp, you could upgrade the SCRs and go even higher if you're into circuits and stuff.
Mark S.

Hey, QC, the link that you provided seems to be broken. Any possibility you could just post that info directly to this thread?

I have a couple of dc motors (both from treadmills) that I am looking to wire up for a DIY 2x72" belt sander. the one I'd really like to use is from a treadmill with an overly complicated setup-- the power supply is connected via a ribbon cable to a digital control panel and optical speed sensor. I'd like to ditch the control panel and replace it with something far simpler, but I haven't had any luck finding enough information to be able to do it.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Try this link to my Word doc. It's working for me. If it works I'll repost my original with the updated link to the Word doc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3zugubjtb6ukrk/MC-60 Wiring Diagram with Options.docx?dl=0

I made this Word Doc with the wiring diagram, parts list, basic prices I paid and some finished photos of the conversion on my Central Machinery wood lathe from the stock motor to a DC treadmill motor using an MC-60 controller. The control box I made includes a reversing switch, jog switch, pause/run switch, 5k POT and a digital RPM display. I know this forum is for metal working, but the doc should be helpful to anyone wanting to DC power any machine. Some of the information in the file came from this forum, and I want to thank those who provided it during my research; John Herrmann, Forty Niner & FanMan. Sorry if I let anyone out.

I found that tracking down answers to all of my questions when I first started on the project was difficult. The information was out there, but not in one place and not organized. My hope is that this doc will help someone save time when they start researching using a treadmill motor and a MC-60 controller.

Quiller
Thank you for taking the time to put this together.

Back