Darex E-90

bug_hunter

Registered
Registered
Hey All,

Recently acquired a Darex E-90 End Mill Sharpener. Looking to sharpen the end cutters of a small shell mill. But, it has 8 flutes. Cannot find any information on sharpening an 8 flute end mill. The most I have found is a warning that things might not work for small 6 and 8 flute end mills as the sharpening wheel may impact the adjacent cutters. Not a big deal for me as the individual cutters are far enough apart to avoid a conflict. The indexing collar has stops for 2, 3, 4, and 6 flutes. Anyone have any experience with this? Might have to make a new collar for an 8 flute, but that sounds like a bit of a PIA. Please share you thoughts/experience.

Greg

I had one and liked it, the conflict would be with the finger that the cutter rests on (tooth rest) for sharpening the flutes, with large number of flutes the tooth rest may interfere with adjacent flutes and also, the index collar for sharpening the ends; the wheel does not perhaps have enough height adjustment to avoid interfering with adjacent flutes and their cutting edges.

Not worried about the flutes, so no finger needed. More concerned with the cutter ends. The indexing of he eight stop points so the sharpening is equal on all cutters is the issue. Thought about using the "4" index pints, then rotating the cutter, but I do not think an even sharpen will be achieved. Will make a new "8" index ring unless someone has a GRETA idea.

thumbnail_IMG_2112.jpg

I would set it up and determine if the wheel is going to interfere with the adjacent tooth before spending any more time with the indexing issue.

I have an E-90 and encountered this issue also. I couldn't see any particular solution, but I don't have many 5 or more flute end mills. So far life continues.

I now have a Norton #2 cutter grinder, and high tooth count cutters are not always easy with it, even.

Back