DAKE V16 Bandsaw Help

discus

Registered
Registered
I'm going to look at a Dake V16 vertical bandsaw tomorrow morning and wondering if anyone with some knowledge on Dake band saws could give me some tips on what to look out for. I think it might be variable speed which concerns me. Unfortunately the unit is not under power. I have no experience with industrial type band saws and could really use some direction. I searched around on the web but there isn't much of any info on the unit to be found. Hoping this is the correct place to post this. I didn't find a section for Dakes.

Thank You

Dale

Last edited:
16" bandsaws seem to be fairly rare, I've been looking for one in my area for several years without success. You either see a 14", which is typically a wood saw with a gear box to slow it down, or the 20" saws like DoAll. I'd be all over it if it works and doesn't have any major problems.

It's probably 220v and might be 3 phase also. Not a deal breaker as you can get a VFD fairly cheap.

I just saw a 20" 3 phase saw that ran and had a functioning blade welder local to me and the asking price was $1850 which I think is a good deal for this area.

If it uses a variable pitch sheave assembly for the speed change (Reeves Drive) make sure it works as they will fail over time.

Hi Dale,

I am no expert, but trying to come up with something to help you with the inspection.....

Inspect:
-the rubber tires on the wheels
-blade guides, are they "cool blocks" or ball bearings? If bearing what shape are they in?
-with the blade removed, you could try spinning the wheels and motor by hand, just to be sure there are no bad bearings

an internet search shows these are very sturdy machines (975 pounds!) you have a way to move that beast?

I'll post back if I think of more.

Good luck!
-brino

And I would certainly not be offering top dollar, without seeing it under power. It's a complete crap shoot otherwise, IMHO.

Hi Dale,

I am no expert, but trying to come up with something to help you with the inspection.....

Inspect:
-the rubber tires on the wheels
I have never come across a bandsaw for metals with rubber tired wheels, such would quickly become a rubber/metal composite material. Many have rotating wire wheels on each side of the blade before the wheels for this reason.

Thank you all for the replies. Keep them coming. I'm leaving early in the morning. I am going to take a cheap 3 phase static converter along and see if the owner will assist in powering it up for a test run. So it likely won't have tires on the blade wheels?

I may be wrong but I have never come across a metal specific band saw with rubber covered band wheels in 30 years in the business, technology may have changed however.

I'm not sure about Dake verticle saws, but many verticle DoAlls have rubber tires. My 60's vintage DoAll has them.

+1 on checking out the Reeves Drive if it has one. My saw was equipped with a 2 speed transmission and a Reeves drive. Make sure both are functional if equipped as they can be very expensive to replace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have never come across a bandsaw for metals with rubber tired wheels, such would quickly become a rubber/metal composite material. Many have rotating wire wheels on each side of the blade before the wheels for this reason.

That's why I prefaced my reply with "I'm no expert" :D.
Thanks Wreck for the reply, I likely assumed it was universal.
It's good to learn new things.

Years ago I bought a used (and homemade) vertical bandsaw. The frame was stout and the price was right.
I remember once I got it cleaned-up and running the blade teeth were digging into the aluminum wheels, I was concerned about the tooth set on that side.
I added some tires from a scrap inner tube and some brushes below the table.

Sure I still get some swarf embedded into the rubber, but at least the blade teeth have some cushion.

On saws without rubber tires, do they at least provide a relief groove in the wheels for the saw blade teeth?
If so, I suppose that would mean you are locked into one width of blade........

-brino

Last edited:
Back