Dads words of wisdom.

B

BRIAN

Forum Guest
Register Today
A few tips that may or may not be new to you.

If you hold two nuts together by the flanks the angle between is the angle of the tip of a jobbers drill.

When fileing soft metals that clog the file load the file with chalk it makes fileing very smooth and gives a good finish.

Jacobs chucks often suffer from tooth damage due to sliping of the key, on the bench drill use the right hand to tighten left hand to loosen. it pulls the key into mesh.

Old oil stones and slip stones can be reshaped by dusting a cement floor or path with sand an gently rubbing the stone in a figure of 8 pattern (this works very quickly so go carefully)

Lost your thread charts a tapping drill just fits a nut of the same thread.

Trying to drill a hole and it goes octagonal Put a small piece of emery paper over the hole and drill through. ITS Magic.
worth doing on large holes right from the start..

The top of your vise should be level with your elbow when standing.

Always slacken the hack saw after use.

Tilt the vernier away from you and look down the lines.

When ark welding a piece of copper is very useful to bridge holes or gaps simply weld onto the copper and remove it after.
it also helps when welding thin sheet.
A good trick is to weld your name onto a piece of copper then peel it off. This gets a lot scratching there heads.
Sky welding???

I hope this was worth the reading Feel free to add from your dad.

BRIAN

two Ill never forget
you dont move a mountain with your back you move it with your mind !

my biggest pains in this place is, people bringing in manifolds or heads with busted studs.
so he said it didnt grow in there!

now im an old timer now- ::) kind of grew into it so I put up a sign "We don't do studs anymore"

One lesson dad taught me (and brothers/sisters much younger than me).........

I was about 10-12 years old, decided to not go work in the field with him that day, but play at home.

The day went on, I had a good time playing.

Supper time came along, I sat at the table ready to eat, Dad asked "What did you do today?" I told him all the fun things I had done. Dad then asked "Did you do any work today?". I told him "no, I was too busy playing."

Dad sent me away from the table without supper with these words "If you don't work, you don't deserve to eat".

I've only gone hungry once, because I didn't work. I'll never do it again.

Thanks Dad.

Back