[Noteworthy] Dad Gloat- Kids First Cnc Project & Class Accolades

countryguy

Active User
Registered
Some of you may recall that my Son (19 now) and I were bitten by the CNC / Machine shop bug pretty hard the past few years. For him, CNC, and the use of CAD and CAM seemed to be a natural fit and interest. Our work together on projects became a major reason in his selection of a degree to pursue. Product Design and Manufacturing. He is now a freshman at Detroit campus College of Creative Studies (CSS) in his first semester. This first class project was to design and build a lamp prototype. Of course, all things are made from steel and aluminum these days by him and he elected to go all out. While most use dense foam, wood, or plastics, he wanted to do something in metal. The idea was applauded by his proff and thus he went off to design it in Solidworks. Shortly after into Fusion-360 for CAM, and finally onto the SuperMax/Centroid CNC mill. To say I am proud of him is an understatement. At 19 he took on two full blown CAD/CAM packages, plus did 100% CNC Milling of the parts all on his own. Lots of Q&A and we had a pretty awesome time together! He pulled multiple all-nighters and weekends on this but came out with a really grand learning experience! I value that part far more than getting selected in the top-3 plus having a showcase display in the school.

I thought I would pass on a few pics and this Dad gloat since so many of you here helped us along the way. A Special shout-out to Jim D also who has so much patience for us newbies. Thank you HM family!!

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0093 (1).JPG

Last edited:
That's great, I hear a lot these days about how uninterested and incapable kids are now. I don't find that to be true any more than when we were kids. There are still many who will excel, perhaps not in the same areas we did, but excel none the less. I'm sure your very proud of his accomplishments, and I'm equally sure at least some of that is due to your love and guidance. Well done to you both. Cheers, Mike

I love the lamp, nice lines, clean and innovative lines, and he's wearing PPE, Good Job!

Thank you everyone for the kinds words and support! A great Christmas here! He found out yesterday about another project in another class is going to go into the student exhibition. Man he is on a roll.
He wants a new generation Haimer 3D zeroing tool for Christmas. Already thinking about his shops needs. Gotta love that ! I put it on order yesterday.

....snip.....
He wants a new generation Haimer 3D zeroing tool for Christmas. ......snip.......

That's like asking Santa Clause for a set of digital (analog) micrometers for Christmas back when I was young.

Back