D1 Camlocks: Adjustment?

Splat

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've had my 3-jaw on my lathe for a long time now. I forgot when I put it onto the spindle that a few of the camlock cams went slightly beyond the bottom 6-o'clock "V" mark while tightening. Should this be or how do I fix this, if possible? Thanks.
D1-42.jpg

If it goes past 6:00, screw that pin in one revolution & test again. And vise versa, if it doesn't reach 3:00, unscrew that pin out one revolution.

Here's a recent thread that may be of help. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/trouble-installing-5c-collet-chuck.60346/#post-497790

It's also a good idea to index your spindle & the adapter, chuck, etc so that you always mount it in the same position. Like in the pic I posted in that thread, you'll see a center punch mark on my spindle. All of my cam lock accessories have one of the pins marked that will always get aligned with that center punch.

Further more, evertime I set up a new adapter or what ever, I check & clock the pins for the lowest runout, that's what determines where my mark goes for primary on the adapter.

Thanks Will. I assume by "pin" you mean a cam itself, right?

Thanks Will. I assume by "pin" you mean a cam itself, right?

Yes, like SB stated, the pins on the chuck that you can adjust in and out by taking out the SHCS. Also note, someone in that linked thread above stated to always put the SHCS back in before mounting on the spindle or it can get stuck. It's never occured to me to be lazy & leave one out but that's good advice, certainly don't want to have a bad day over one little SHCS.

Consider it a safety issue if the camlocs do not tighten up between 3 and 6 o'clock. I would not run a lathe unless the D1 accessories were mounted correctly. It is truly dangerous, and could have severe consequences.

Yep, agree with that, Bob. Thanks guys. Ya had me scratching my head on that one.....the pins on the back of the chuck. Got it. Thanks.

Yes, like SB stated, the pins on the chuck that you can adjust in and out by taking out the SHCS. Also note, someone in that linked thread above stated to always put the SHCS back in before mounting on the spindle or it can get stuck. It's never occured to me to be lazy & leave one out but that's good advice, certainly don't want to have a bad day over one little SHCS.
When installing the chuck on the spindle it must be pushed in by hand as far as possible so that the D1 cams only have to pull up a small amount. The cam should turn freely from the initial 12:00 position to the 3:00 o'clock position. Then the cam should gradually draw the chuck up tight without going past the 6:00 o'clock position.
It does not require extreme force when doing this. If something snags or blocks do not add more force or something like this could happen.
IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

Back