D1-4 Chucks Back Plate Interchangability

Be careful that that the camlocks are for a D1-4, as the pins are different then say a D1-3 or D1-6. Try http://www.ajaxtoolsupply.com/ or http://www.tools4cheap.net/ , sometimes they pop up on eBay. They also should have the metric retainer Allen screws or get them at your local hardware store. Easy to setup, screw in the pins until when the chuck is mounted and the D1-4 are fully locked, the key socket mark must be between the two carrot ">" marks on the spindle mount. Look at the Grizzly lathe manuals and they will give more specific details/pictures. The Allen screw prevents the stud from coming loose.

And don't worry if there is some play in both studs and Allen screw. They both need a few degrees of freedom so that the stud can float and seat on the cam properly. For that reason the Allen screw should be sunk below the surface but not be torqued down.

Read that pdf link I posted, follow it to the T for proper setup of the cams

Make sure you put the 3 socket screws in place before mounting the chuck. You won't be able to get the chuck off the lathe if you just have the pins in the chuck and no counter-rotation cap screws. Never done it myself, just what I've read on this forum and in my Grizzly lathe manual.

Make sure you put the 3 socket screws in place before mounting the chuck. You won't be able to get the chuck off the lathe if you just have the pins in the chuck and no counter-rotation cap screws. Never done it myself, just what I've read on this forum and in my Grizzly lathe manual.

The Grizzly manual for the G0750G lathe on pages 30 and 31 has excellent instructions for mounting and removing cam lock chucks. I have not seen better. However there is no mention of a possible chuck removal problem if the counter rotation screws are left out. Would it be possible to know which Grizzly manual and on what page you have read that particular info? I may have to correct my understanding of the D1-4 system. Thanks.

Last edited:
I've looked high and low through my Grizzly manual and do not see a reference to chucks getting stuck without the anti-rotation cap screws in place; I stand corrected. I'll look through some other reference material and see which lathe manual (Central Machinery, ENCO, etc.) and post which manual that info came from.

Bruce

The information I had about the the anti-rotation cap screws was in the instruction manual that came my chuck/ face plate. and was in bold print.

Elmo, please let me know if I am abusing your thread. I don't want to get picky but I believe the more we understand something the better we will be able to use it. My new lathe was delivered with a D1-4 3 jaw mounted on the spindle but it had not been installed with enough care. Two of the cams were badly mangled and it was a job to remove the chuck. Fortunately they were replaced on warantee but the experience showed me that if I screw up when mounting a chuck it will be the cams that will suffer. They are softer than the studs (and more expensive).
I have since made three D1-4 adapters for different purposes and make my own studs. They all work great. Any of my chucks can be mounted or removed quickly and easily with excellent repeatability. I am convinced that understanding in detail what each D1-4 component does and doesn't do was worth it. The anti rotation cap screws are there to keep the stud facing in the right direction and to keep it on the right depth setting. They can accomplish that without being torqued tight but they have to be there to do the job. Not that they should be left out but if they are, it is beyond me how that would prevent chuck removal. If I am missing something I dearly want to know what it is. Since you are faced with fitting some studs and counterrotation cap screws this might be of interest to you too.

Back