D1-4 Chucks Back Plate Interchangability

when I received my enco lathe I attempted to set the 3 jaw chuck on the d 1-6 spindle it had a gap between the back of the chuck to the spindle. the gap was on the side you snugged last. this caused a runout of .030" on the face of the chuck. I tried other chucks the all did this to some degree. I could acceptable results if I played with the 6 mounting pin and cams. but I didn't want to indicate in my chucks in each time I used it. so I took my chuck to work and mounted it on one of the lathes there. it was also a d 1-6. it ran perfect just line up pins to the holes no playing around. so I determined that my lathe spindle was big. after bluing the spindle to the chuck and stoning and stoning for days I got it to fit perfectly. blued perfect. all my d 1-6 chuck work good also. this was a long and difficult job but I got it to work. this is how I know that the center taper set the runout. see my previous post in this thread. bill

I've ordered two sets of studs and a set of cams from a company called Mac-it. I have a HF 13x40 and neither the cams or studs were hardened, which resulted in problems. They will be 7/16 UNF, so they will not work as is with Chinese chucks that have metric threads. I drilled the existing threads out and helicoiled them to 7/16 UNF. They work much better now. I havn't had a chuck fly off the machine since I changed to these studs and cams.

http://www.macit.com/

Back