D1-4 Chucks Back Plate Interchangability

Elmo

Registered
Registered
I have an Enco 13x40 gap bed lathe that I acquired secondhand. It came with a 3 jaw chuck mounted and a 4 jaw chuck with no backplate. I have no experience with D-4 backplates. Can I change the backplate from one to the other or do I have to buy a backplate for the four jaw and fit it to the chuck? I also would like to have a faceplate also. Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Elmo

Elmo
The chances of the register on your back plate being a good fit is iffy at best, so I would buy a back plate that way changing chucks will be easy.
I will hazard a guess that the 4 jaw is a 8"? if so grizzly has a T25219 D1-4 8" back plate for $ 79.00
And if you are a vet they have a 5% discount
Tomh

elmo there is no such thing in my book as a dumb question

The face plate to fit your lathe from grizzly is P07821002 but you will have to call there parts dept to get a price.

Last edited:
Chucks come in a number of configurations, if it is a plain back then it needs a D1-4 back plate to attach to your lathe. Back plates are usually stepped so the the back plate aligns with the chuck, and the position and depth of the step can vary by chuck. You can buy back plates that are fully machined for a particular chuck, but most likely you can purchase a partially machined or unmachined D1-4 back and turn it to your specific chuck. There is an advantage to doing a surface cut and the final registration step on your machine as this can give you less run out due to small variations in how the chuck mounts to your machine (but assumes your lathe is in proper alignment). Even if you had two chucks that had the same back plate, you would be better off having a separate D1-4 back plate for each one. I find that there can be small variations in how a chuck will mount, and there can be one position which gives you the lowest TIR (run out). With scroll chucks I mark my spindle and chucks, so the D1-X always mounts in the same place. If you get a face plate, they come as a D1-4 direct mount.

Back plates are inexpensive and readily available. I have purchased mine from http://www.tools4cheap.net/ as they have a wide selection and they were knowledgeable as to recommendations. Otherwise, Shar's Grizzly, etc carry a wide selection.

Yes, if the chucks both have the same backs then the backplate from one will fit the other. Chances are tho that the 4 jaw will be a larger diameter than the 3 jaw and not have the same bolt pattern. Anyways I predict that it will get old real fast to have to switch over the backplate from one chuck to the other even if it is possible.

Elmo
The chances of the register on your back plate being a good fit is iffy at best, so I would buy a back plate that way changing chucks will be easy.
I will hazard a guess that the 4 jaw is a 8"? if so grizzly has a T25219 D1-4 8" back plate for $ 79.00
And if you are a vet they have a 5% discount
Tomh

elmo there is no such thing in my book as a dumb question

The face plate to fit your lathe from grizzly is P07821002 but you will have to call there parts dept to get a price.

Thanks! It is an 8" and yes I am a vet.
Elmo

Correct me if I am wrong. After a lot of searching and pulling my 3 jaw and looking at the back I think all that I need is the cam lock pins and attaching hardware. I am attaching a picture of the 4 jaw chuck.
Elmo

image.jpeg

Yes you are right, it needs the pins and retainer screws.you will have to search to find the Jacob's article on setting up the cam lock pins correctly, so you get it just right and precise repeatability

Yes you are right, it needs the pins and retainer screws.you will have to search to find the Jacob's article on setting up the cam lock pins correctly, so you get it just right and precise repeatability
Thanks for the help. I have found a few threads about adjusting the camlock studs but not an article. Now I just have to find some studs to buy.
Elmo

Back