Cutting Round bar

Hopefully someone else can currently use the info as well.

Sooner or later someone else will have the same problem, by that time we'll all have forgotten this discussion.

Would something like a hose clamp work? I can visualize one on each side of the cut, and more as needed.

I don't know if a hose clamp would work, I've never seen it done that way, I think it would tend to cause the bundle to become a circular pack, might be worth a try, Only one way to find out.

I've only ever seen it done the way I have done it that is to make up a pack that has x no of rods on the bottom layer and x-1 on the next then x again on the 3rd then x - 1 and so on. clamp this pack in the saw vice at the same time as clamp the pack from top to bottom, squeeze it tight both horizontal and vertical, use a piece of scrap wood on one side and top of pack to take up any irregularities so nothing can move. It is most important that nothing can move, it is movement that breaks blades, particularly if a rod can turn or roll while being cut.

I'd try the hose clamp if the stacks tight be hard to twist the teeth off.

It's the individual bars in the middle of the pack that you have to prevent from twisting, or to be more accurate from rolling over, when the blade gets into the pack, near the middle , if a bar is not held tight it can start to roll, this is what breaks the teeth off the blade. most hose clamps aren't that strong, and I'd worry that the center of the pack was not tight.

The jobs I was involved in we fitted a strong back accross the vice with a screw down plate between the jaws, The strongback legs hooked under the vice frame. we did 6"x 6"packs of 1/2" and 5/8" steel bar day and night, this was a production line thing. I don't remember ever breaking a blade, they just wore out.

Wouldn't this be a perfect application for a work stop?

Tom

Back