• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Cutting oil

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Reeltor

Active User
I have used Oatey brand Dark Cutting Oil for years. I used to find it in the plumbing department at Home Depot and Lowes, with Lowes being a few dollars cheaper. I tried to buy some today and found that the cutting oil is no longer sold in the stores. You can order on-line with free delivery to your local store. I am wondering if they will discontinue carrying it altogether. This is a sulfonated and chlorinated oil and I find that it works well on the mill and lathe. I don't recall seeing any "yellow metal" cautions.
If you need some you might want to order it while the getting is good; 8 dollars and change for a quart.

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Go on Amazon and buy Mobil Mobilmet 766 cutting oil. You never go back to Oatly dark cutting oil after trying it.. You'll have to buy a gallon of it, overall, a tad cheaper, too.

Last edited:

b4autodark

Swarf
Registered Member
I like it also, was a plumber for years and cut a lot of threads. Oatey or Ridgid cutting oil work well and are both readily available at plumbing supply houses. Or at least should be!

Bamban

Active User
Go on Amazon and buy Mobil Mobilmet 766 cutting oil. You never go back to Oatly black cutting oil after trying it.. You'll have to buy a gallon of it, overall, a tad cheaper, too.

Ken,

When my gallon Ridgid Extreme ran out I bought some Mobilnet 766. I could not be happier, and you are right, the price point is nice. Even at MSC, the price per gallon is under $17, plus shipping.

When turning barrels I add STP to the 766, the mix enables the oil to stick to the material at moderate speed

MikeWi

Active User
Didn't someone on this forum say that chainsaw bar oil was the same thing?

wlburton

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Go on Amazon and buy Mobil Mobilmet 766 cutting oil. You never go back to Oatly black cutting oil after trying it.. You'll have to buy a gallon of it, overall, a tad cheaper, too.
Does it smoke less than than Oatey Dark? That is sometimes a nuisance in my basement shop.

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
Does it smoke less than than Oatey Dark? That is sometimes a nuisance in my basement shop.
It smokes a little bit to none at all. The wife and kids don't complain like they used to when I used any dark cutting oil including Oatey. Rigid light cutting oil for stainless steel works good too, but not as good as Mobilmet 766.

MikeWi

Active User
Right on, Ken! Lubricating oil and cutting oil are trying to help to achieve exactly the opposite things...
That's what I thought, but there were others supporting the idea so... I should try and find it again. I never tried the idea in any case. :)

Bob Korves

That's what I thought, but there were others supporting the idea so... I should try and find it again. I never tried the idea in any case. :)
Metal can be cut with no oil at all. It can also be cut with most any oil out there, or water. Cutting oils are made specifically for cutting metal. Lubricating oils are made to keep metal from being cut. I know which I will choose...

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
STP is more of tackifier than lubricating oil. Why do you think it helps keep things lubricated in a worn engine?
Add it to ISO 46 oil and you got way oil!:grin: Well almost..

Last edited:

hman

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member

samthedog

Active User
How/where do you get it?

I clicked the link, then went to the distributors page for USA, got to "Indestructible Paint." Tried clicking on their product number, got sent back to the page I got with your link. Tried filling out the "Contact us" stuff, and got a page full of some kind of weird error messages.

!(?§§¶≠£¥ß∂©Ωµ(*&%$^&&&!!!!
I bought mine from a machine shop that was a distributor. I am not sure how you would get it on your side of the pond. This stuff is very good and seems to be the cutting oil of choice for manual machines on this side of the pond.

Paul.

JPMacG

Active User
To the OP, ordering things at HD is no problem - I have done it many times. There is no shipping charge if you pick it up at the store and it arrives typically in a few days. Their catalog of stuff that you can order is enormous. I guess they are trying to compete with online retailers.

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
If you buy Mobilmet 766 on Amazon you can get an extended warranty! ;) I wish I was joking but they really do offer it.

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
Guys, one thing we all need to do is get the MSDS sheet (European/Australian call it something else) to the product we use and pay attention to things like fumes, mists, vapors, that these products put out. Also thing like contact with your skin, eyes, etc., can have an serious end results. And many other things that could have adverse affects on use of these products. In general, probably okay with most, just a caution to all. Ken

woodchucker

Ken,

When my gallon Ridgid Extreme ran out I bought some Mobilnet 766. I could not be happier, and you are right, the price point is nice. Even at MSC, the price per gallon is under $17, plus shipping.

When turning barrels I add STP to the 766, the mix enables the oil to stick to the material at moderate speed
I wish I had seen this earlier, I just went to MSC, McMaster, Amazon , zoro ... 25.54 at McMaster is the least, MSC 28.81.
quite a difference in price from the 4th.

Ken from ontario

I bought mine from a machine shop that was a distributor. I am not sure how you would get it on your side of the pond. This stuff is very good and seems to be the cutting oil of choice for manual machines on this side of the pond.

Paul.
I found lalonde Canada to be the distributor over here, contacted them to see if the ship a single bottle of their RTD liquid to try,they responded within an hour today ,will send the price and shipping cost on monday, I really like to try this oil especially for cutting metal on my horizontal bandsaw.
http://www.lalonde.ca/

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
I too like the Mobilmet 766 far better than dark cutting oil. I still have a quart of the Oatey oil here, so I use it for tapping just so I can eventually use it up. Any power cutting gets the 766 treatment, however.

wlburton

I too like the Mobilmet 766 far better than dark cutting oil. I still have a quart of the Oatey oil here, so I use it for tapping just so I can eventually use it up. Any power cutting gets the 766 treatment, however.
Terry--
Did you find it somewhere locally?
Bill

terrywerm

HM Shop Foreman
Staff member
I purchased the Mobilmet 766 through either Enco/MSC or McMaster-Carr, I forget which. The Oatey dark cutting oil I found at my local Ace Hardware store ten years ago or so, but I know for fact that they still carry it.

I think the small mom and pop type stores are more likely to carry items that the big box stores would not even consider. Big box stores focus on selling volume, which means only carrying items that they know they will sell regularly. Small stores think about providing service and accommodating as many customers as possible and not just maximizing their sales volume.

Ken from ontario

I know this is long shot but if any of the members in Ontario, Canada is interested in buying the RTD LIQUID that Paul (samthedog-post#15) mentioned,I got a reply from the local distributor(Oakville, Ont.),the price for a 400g bottle is $25 CDN$ plus shipping.I myself find it to be slightly too expensive for such small bottle but would chip in to buy a pail and divide between us.
20160229132019_RTD Liquid 400ml lo.png

benmychree

John York
I no longer use cutting oils, I use TapFree for nearly everything; I'd have it on my pancakes if it tasted better!

hman

Active User
I know this is long shot but if any of the members in Ontario, Canada is interested in buying the RTD LIQUID that Paul (samthedog-post#15) mentioned,I got a reply from the local distributor(Oakville, Ont.),the price for a 400g bottle is $25 CDN$ plus shipping.I myself find it to be slightly too expensive for such small bottle but would chip in to buy a pail and divide between us.
After my last post, I did manage to find an email address for the US distributor. Got a reply today (quoted below). Bottom line for me is that they want $40 for the same 400 grams (about a pint) - or about $320/gallon. Plus, they're facing an MOQ (I assume minimum order quantity) of 100 units. Sorry, folks, that's WAY too rich for my blood :(

Quoted from email:

sales@indestructiblepaint.com

Hi ,
ROCOL 53072 is $ 39.98 per 400 grams.
We do not have stock at this time. This will need to be drop ship from our UK facility. There is a Large MOQ 100 pcs.
The MOQ will drop once I can combine them with other orders.
FOB United Kingdom.
P.O. min $ 150.00 per order
Credit Cards 3% Charge
Visa or Mater Card Only

Brian Stoerzinger
Indestructible Paint Inc.
1 Independence Drive
Monroe, Ct 06468
P- 203-880-9130
F- 203-880-9133

Ken from ontario

I'll stick with what has worked for me,Tap Magic has been great as my cutting oil and tapping oil,I recently bought the extra thick version of it that mixes very well with the regular TM 2 to 1,works well in cold whether, best of all it smells alright .

[6]
5 [7]