Cutting oil

ELHEAD

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just ran across this. Don't know if I have seen this before. Of course there is a lot I haven't seen.

Neatsfoot oil of the highest grade is used as a lubricant.[1] It is used in metalworking industries as a cutting fluid for aluminium. For machining, tapping and drilling aluminium, it is superior to kerosene and various water-based cutting fluids. The fat left over from the second pressing process, a solid stearin, is used for making soap.[1]

Give Wikipedia the credit.
Dave

i have never tried it for machining, only for conditioning leather.
very interesting

I wander what that would smell like. A pair of old shoes? I think the thinned out old bacon fat was a better Idea and a lot cheaper. And who does not like bacon. And the last time i saw some of the Neatsfoot oil it was expensive.

Mix neats foot oil with beeswax and you have a good bullet lube for black powder shooting. 100 shots without ANY cleaning and it still shot where you looked. Three swabs with a wet patch and one dry patch and it was ready to put away. This is 500 meter shooting. 1/3 of a mile! Grandpa was NOT as under gunned as we were lead to believe!!

Shoot Vaseline and pomade will work too. Even mineral oil and any fat reduced to liquid.

Back