Cutting Oil Drip System

Fabrickator

Active User
Registered
What I needed was a safe and efficient way to provide a consistent flow of cutting oil for parting, knurling, tapping and finish operations that didn’t require my having to use my hand. I don't have the room for a flood coolant system at this time, so I created a drip system that uses magnets for mounting the reservoir shelf and for the gooseneck block. I wanted the ability to move it anywhere along the splash guard, and also for use on the mill.

I’ve always liked the loc-line, modular fluid control system when I worked in a machine shop and so that’s what I used for the gooseneck. I made the remote, magnetic gooseneck block out of aluminum and knurled it to match my knobs. I found the large, donut magnets at MSC for cheap. It can be mounted to the splash guard for stationary work or to the compound for traveling cuts.

I used a hand soap bottle for the reservoir from our bathroom dispenser at work and I made the hose fitting out of a ½” bolt. I also made a vent out of an old, metal stemmed inner tube for a vacuum break which helps to provide a consistent flow. This system is not a permanent fixture on the lathe and I made it "magnetic" portable and liquid tight with the ability to drain it all back into the reservoir for storage.

IMAG0614.jpgIMAG0623.jpgIMAG0568.jpgIMAG0569.jpgIMAG0580.jpgIMAG0585.jpgIMAG0608.jpgIMAG0594.jpg

IMAG0614.jpg IMAG0623.jpg IMAG0568.jpg IMAG0569.jpg IMAG0580.jpg IMAG0585.jpg IMAG0608.jpg IMAG0594.jpg

Wow that is a neat idea nice work
I will be stealing that idea. Thank you. Dave

That is a nice setup. I've been using a dish soap bottle with a set screw drilled at .125 for a spout and squeezing as needed. I like the hands free idea - especially on the mill....

Do you get a nice predictable drip rate or does it flow faster than that? A single drop of heavy cutting oil does go quite a long way.

Back