Cutting lube

D

Douglasr

Forum Guest
Register Today
Is there a best all around lube for lathe cutting bits during use or is it more specific to the metals bring turned? I will start out with HSS bits, if it matters. Thanks

Any oil will help better than dry, except for cast iron. Specific materials do better with different lubes. Aluminum does well with WD40 or kerosene, although I normally use Crisco applied with an acid brush. Cast iron, as mentioned, is machined dry.

Steel improves when regular cutting oil is used, but there are different grades (and opinions) of that. I use Rapid Tap, which is likely similar to Tap Magic. It improves cutting action and surface finish instantly.

Different materials do better with different lubes. Alli does well with WD40 or kerosene. Mild steel works great with a high sulfur content oil, Iron is best done dry. I make a mixture of ATF and diesel fuel that I use as a penetrant and a cutting lube and have had great results with it over the years. If I need more penetrating action I add a bit of Napthenic solvent and it is as good as PB blaster or deep creep for way less money. I get the WD 40 in a gallon can and use an oil squirt can to apply it which really helps stretch it out and also keeps the oily mess to a minimum too. Try some different lubes and see which ones work the best for your tool and material selections because every combination is a bit different and will yield slightly diferent results.

Bob

I read somewhere about one of the old masters using Marvel Mystery Oil. Tried it and its about the only thing I use now.

Back