Cutting inside edge and hub of a flywheel

You need to learn how to grind the tools to fit the job, I have purchased an extra set of HSS blanks that I grind, to make some, Plus I even took broken drill bits and made some, I just did a wobbler with a flywheel like what you are talking about, At the time I did not have a boring bar etc. But took the back end of a bit I liked and ground it to do what I wanted. Now I can do two different cuts just by flipping it around.

One of the other things I did is work part of it from inside (hub) out then was able to work the area left to the rim will less material to have to work. Again, don't be afraid to grind what you need. I have found that some of the ones I bought did not work as well as what I ground and finished by hand. Depending on the quality and how they finished them, you may be better redoing them. There are plenty of places on the web, and You Tub on grinding them. Good luck. It will take time but We all can do it if we try.

KVT

I did buy some extra blank tool bits and ground one for the outer rim and one for inner hub. It worked ok but chatters doing the area in the middle between the outer rim and hub. I think I would need a third bit to do this area or grind the bits smaller.

Good to hear you got the cutters figured out. Sounds like you may not have enough clearance on the end of the tools if your getting chatter in the middle of the recess. Can you post a picture of what you've ground. Noticed you were going to get 3/8 and 1/2 inch blanks, they may be on the heavy side for what your doing. They'll work but require a lot more grinding to get the shapes your after. I have a good stash of 3/8 HSS but wish it was 1/4 , would save a lot of grinder time.

Greg

Back