Cutting Aluminum Question

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was cutting off a piece of stock aluminum with my Harbor Freight bandsaw/hacksaw.
It seemed to take forever to cut through, granted it was a piece of 4x4 stock 6061, but got me wondering if there are issues with aluminum loading up metal cutting blades.
My blade is the higher end (price wise) Harbor freight general purpose one.
Any thoughts/suggestions ???

Yes. Sometimes a squirt of WD40 helps

If you are using a fine pitch blade without lubricant it can take a long time to cut 4 X 4 stock. Heck, I just cut 3 x 3 stock and it seemed to take longer than usual. BUT I know why it did; I'm using my standard 10-14 tooth Lenox blade. A 6-tooth blade would probably work better/faster.

In addition to WD-40 you can try some wax stick lubricant. It greatly speeds the cut in all materials, reduces friction and doesn't leave a mess. I have a tube of DoAll wax lube that is now over 10 years old and is still going strong. Castrol and others make it, too: https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Stic...473968788&sr=8-3&keywords=stick+wax+lubricant

Wood chop saw, eye protection, ear protection, WD-40 done quick!

Your wood skill saw will also do it. Nice to have a second person to continuously spray the WD-40. 20 years ago an old Kenworth service manager told me that was how they shortened the truck frames if needed.

When cutting any solid aluminum stock over an inch thick, I change to a 6TPI blade (vs my typical 12 or 14TPI blade). It cuts much faster and the coarse teeth don't load up.

Ted

I tried a spray bottle with water and soap mix. It worked great.

Regular spray bottle set on stream, 2 tablespoons dish washing soap and fill with water. The stream clears the chips, keeps the aluminum cool and the saw cuts much faster without clogging.

Back