Cutting a Narrow Shallow Bore

Shiseiji

Avid destroyer of many materials.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
First, TIA to all who have suggestions. I'm duplicating the pintle/spud/haven't been able to find a technical term, of a compound and need some advice on how to make one feature.

The pintle is surrounded by a bore about 1/4" deep and 9/32" wide. I understand the purpose of the bore is to spread out some of the load. I'm hoping it will take care of the ~ .014 gap I have when the flat one I've made is tighted down. Suggestions on how to duplicate the bore?

Iv'e read that a simple paper blotter like is used on a grinder will probably take care of the gap if the bore doesn't. Reference pictures of the original follow:

20240206_182942.jpg1000005970.jpg

Rotary table, boring head, or lathe?

Thanks, that was my thought, and I made an effort but didn't form the tool correctly. Decided before I made a real mess there are too many knowledgeable people here not to ask.

After posting I tried some other search terms and found this thread "How Do I Bore A Shallow Hole?" where in addition to the grooving tool a mill bit in a tool holder or trepanning tool is suggested.

A trepanning tool would do nicely. I just used one to remove the outer section of a chuck adapter plate and it worked beautifully. I happened to have a face grooving tool that came with a pile of tool holders I bought a while back, so I just had to buy some inserts for it, but you can grind one out of HSS without too much trouble...it's not an overly critical shape from what I can tell.

Joe Pie does a good video on it:

A trepanning tool would do nicely. I just used one to remove the outer section of a chuck adapter plate and it worked beautifully. I happened to have a face grooving tool that came with a pile of tool holders I bought a while back, so I just had to buy some inserts for it, but you can grind one out of HSS without too much trouble...it's not an overly critical shape from what I can tell.

Joe Pie does a good video on it:

Thanks, have been stuck in the house today and watched it earlier. My 1st effort was a shear type tool and it took about 3 turns for it to dig in. Knew it was time to stop, ask questions, and see what I could find.

Back