Cutting 2 MM slots in 3/8 diameter 316 Stainless rods.

BoliverShagnasti

Registered
Registered
I came up with a stronger design for the valves I am making, but it requires that the "butterfly" valve; Stainless disc be place exactly in the center of a 3/8 rod.

The problem is the time it takes to cut these slots with a 2mm end mill. So, I got a slitting saw and that makes it better, because we cut out most of the metal. It is 1/16 inch (1.587 MM) because I could not find any 2mm saws.

Still when we try to finish the cut we are breaking too many of the 2mm end mills. They are carbide. I am wondering if the 2000 RPM is too slow for them.

I need to speed up this process if possible. It is just a 2mm slot 48 mm long passing through the center of the 3/8 stainless rod.

Lots of 2mm slitting saws on ebay right now - I think that's your best shot. Tiny end mills are going to bounce around and snap in a slot like you're trying to cut.

I frequently use jewellers slitting saw blades that are only about 1" in diameter and come in many different thicknesses. I often stack them to get the correct width of cut. All my work is in brass, and never tried stainless.

David

Don’t know your exact application. But a 1/16” carbide end mill will break if you just look at it. You need a very rigid machine/set-up and feeds that are smooth and not erratic. And as the end mill is cutting the machine and operator should have the capability to FEEL the cutting action and so then control the life of the tooling. Meaning, doing this on say a Bridgeport mill would be death to a 1/16” carbide end mill. And if it must be an end mill job? Have you tried colbalt or HSS? They don't break so easy...Dave

Can you move the slitting saw over and take a 2nd cut to get your 2mm width?

Still when we try to finish the cut we are breaking too many of the 2mm end mills. They are carbide. I am wondering if the 2000 RPM is too slow for them.

Way too slow. 7500 RPM at a feed rate of about 7 IPM is in the range you need. As said above, a slitting saw is the proper tool for this operation.

Back