Cutting 1 inch thick aluminum stock possible with a scroll saw?

Vertical bandsaw might work...

Probably would have to get creative with the angles.

I have not tried my new Jet 7x12 combo in vertical yet... probably will figure out an excuse to try it over the holidays when I have more time.

I have never used a scroll saw but if I was trying to do what you are, and not use my mill, I just would go to a jig saw before scroll. That could be pure ignorance though. Dont a scroll saw have a continues blade? If so, I would you get into them pocket? And the blades I seen are so small I fear it would twist instead of rounding the cut.

But again, thats just in thinking, not in doing

i dont mind using a jig saw or a sawzall just to cut a rough shape faster and then do clean up with an end mill

Last edited:
That's gonna be one tough cut for a scroll saw. I would not buy one for that job unless I had actually seen that it can do it first. Way small blades, very few teeth to do the cutting, and the blades twist and bow with any real pressure.

Would love to be proven wrong, though!

-frank

I know thats a scroll saw.

Yes, I know that you do defcon.:))

My post above was directed to mzayd3 who seemed to not know what a scroll saw is, you can tell by the quote above my text.

That's gonna be one tough cut for a scroll saw. I would not buy one for that job unless I had actually seen that it can do it first. Way small blades, very few teeth to do the cutting, and the blades twist and bow with any real pressure.

Would love to be proven wrong, though!

-frank

i plan to drill on all corners/angles which would make it easier to navigate

again it doesnt have to be clean. just faster than doing multiple passes on a mini mill with its limitations

Just thinking about this...could you make a custom blade to fit the scroll saw from a hack-saw blade. Possible to grind one down thinner and make it fit in the holder. Might work but again I would find someone with a saw and play around before purchasing a new scroll saw. Could work if you are just making straight cuts.

Harry

I know what a scroll saw is, I have one. I was making sure we were on the same page. If you have to, use the most coarse blade you can find. Good luck!

I have used my scroll saw for alu stuff but nothing more than 1/4 " thick . a project that thick would take forever even if you can keep the blade from breaking. Not to mention it makes a mess of the scroll saw with the WD-40.

I did these on a scroll = pic below.

my suggestion would be to keep up with the drilling holes then use a scroll to cut the larger pieces then finally mill it out.

048.JPG 050.JPG 052.JPG

Back