Cutting 1/4" thick Steel Plate

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I need a small triangular shaped (three leges) steel stand. I've made these before, but by using 3 stock steel flat bars and welding them all together.
This is smaller, approx. 3.5 x 3.5" Can this shape be cut whole from a square plate of steel? If so, what is the best way or should I just weld? (more work).
See attached photo. (lower right). The round bar will be welded after a press fit. This base will not be supporting a lot of weight, around 6 lbs. max.
Just need it to be sturdy, little to no flex. This is an art sculpture armature stand.

9249320771_n.jpg

Sure it could be taken out of one piece. They're all straight cuts so an angle grinder with cutoff wheel would work, or a bandsaw too but slower. I'm thinking though that by the time you procure quite a large piece of metal to accommodate that shape, cut what will probably be about 3 feet worth of cut when it's all added up, then throw the two pie-shaped pieces away as odd-shaped scrap, you may wish you had gone the flat bar with welds route. Cheaper, faster, and a lot less finishing in the long run.

Just my thinking on it.

-frank

Edit: Sorry, was looking at the picture of the larger one more than paying attention to your dimensions. 3-1/2" square I'd cut it out of one piece.

Last edited:
If esthetics isn't an issue, why not just use the 3.5 x 3.5" plate as is?

Or cut the 3.5 x 3.5 piece diagonally across the corners and end up with two.

David

If you have access to a plasma cutter (or a friend with one), cutting that out would be a 5 min. task.
where are you located?

Plasma torch would be my choice. BUT, you will have a lot material waste! Maybe re-think the three piece flat bar method:)...Dave

This is a small plate, 3.5" square. Plate is $12. Can this be milled out? I can drill a series of holes first then clamp to a mill table?
Straight cuts and protractor on scribed lines. Aesthetics is an issue. I prefer not to use a square plate. I'll probably go the weld route.
Thanks

I don't see the mill as an efficient way of doing it. if it were me I would cut it on the band saw. But short of that I would use flat bar and just run a bead, a fine bead, there's not a lot of stress there.

Lay out and weld three pieces of flat strap (gaped) and grind flat and smooth..Done. Flat bar is inexpensive (HR).
It looks like 1/4" x 1.5" flat bar but hard to tell from the photo. Your welding the upright as well.

All excellent suggestions. I would just lay it out on a small piece of plate, cut it out on the bandsaw, dress the edges on the mill and be done with it.

Back