• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Cutting 1/4" thick Steel Plate

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I need a small triangular shaped (three leges) steel stand. I've made these before, but by using 3 stock steel flat bars and welding them all together.
This is smaller, approx. 3.5 x 3.5" Can this shape be cut whole from a square plate of steel? If so, what is the best way or should I just weld? (more work).
See attached photo. (lower right). The round bar will be welded after a press fit. This base will not be supporting a lot of weight, around 6 lbs. max.
Just need it to be sturdy, little to no flex. This is an art sculpture armature stand.

Attachments

francist

Active User
Sure it could be taken out of one piece. They're all straight cuts so an angle grinder with cutoff wheel would work, or a bandsaw too but slower. I'm thinking though that by the time you procure quite a large piece of metal to accommodate that shape, cut what will probably be about 3 feet worth of cut when it's all added up, then throw the two pie-shaped pieces away as odd-shaped scrap, you may wish you had gone the flat bar with welds route. Cheaper, faster, and a lot less finishing in the long run.

Just my thinking on it.

-frank

Edit: Sorry, was looking at the picture of the larger one more than paying attention to your dimensions. 3-1/2" square I'd cut it out of one piece.

Last edited:

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
If esthetics isn't an issue, why not just use the 3.5 x 3.5" plate as is?

David S

Active User
Or cut the 3.5 x 3.5 piece diagonally across the corners and end up with two.

David

DHarris

If you have access to a plasma cutter (or a friend with one), cutting that out would be a 5 min. task.
where are you located?

chips&more

Active User
Plasma torch would be my choice. BUT, you will have a lot material waste! Maybe re-think the three piece flat bar method:)...Dave

EmilioG

Active User
This is a small plate, 3.5" square. Plate is $12. Can this be milled out? I can drill a series of holes first then clamp to a mill table?
Straight cuts and protractor on scribed lines. Aesthetics is an issue. I prefer not to use a square plate. I'll probably go the weld route.
Thanks

woodchucker

I don't see the mill as an efficient way of doing it. if it were me I would cut it on the band saw. But short of that I would use flat bar and just run a bead, a fine bead, there's not a lot of stress there.

firestopper

Lay out and weld three pieces of flat strap (gaped) and grind flat and smooth..Done. Flat bar is inexpensive (HR).
It looks like 1/4" x 1.5" flat bar but hard to tell from the photo. Your welding the upright as well.

mikey

Active User
All excellent suggestions. I would just lay it out on a small piece of plate, cut it out on the bandsaw, dress the edges on the mill and be done with it.

ezduzit

Active User
The center leg adds absolutely nothing to the stability; it just complicates an otherwise simple design.

EmilioG

Active User
I'm going with the bandsaw/mill finish idea. Thank you all, thank you Mikey. That's the one!

toolman_ar

Active User
Do you have a jig saw?

May sound crazy but I have done 1/2” plate before. Because that is all I had at the time.

toolman_ar

EmilioG

Active User
Do you have a jig saw?

May sound crazy but I have done 1/2” plate before. Because that is all I had at the time.

toolman_ar
Yes. You’re right. It does sound crazy. I like my face the way it is. Thanks I’m going with the band saw. Much safer. Always wear eye
protection ;)

woodchucker

Yes. You’re right. It does sound crazy. I like my face the way it is. Thanks I’m going with the band saw. Much safer. Always wear eye
protection ;)
What would the jig saw do to your face. You keep it out of the way of the chips. Don't stick it in there;). Both work.

EmilioG

Active User
Thanks, I just don't use jig saws for 1/4" thk. steel. I prefer a band saw.

woodchucker

Thanks, I just don't use jig saws for 1/4" thk. steel. I prefer a band saw.
me too, but if you didn't have a band saw, the jig saw could be your friend. There are some nice metal cutting blades these days. Even my recip saw loaded with a freud blade cuts really fast.

toolman_ar

Active User

Here is an example. He gives a good explanation of time to cut at the end.

Wear your P.P.E.

toolman_ar

den-den

I would use my portable band saw. If I did not have that, a hacksaw would do it with a little effort.

richl

Active User
That was quite a good demonstration. Certainly the bandsaw is the better solution, but when you don't have the expensive tools, a 4 1/2" grinder and jigsaw are your friend. It's real easy to forget how much really good work has been done with basic tools.

Uglydog

Active User
I've got a vintage OA track torch which I rebuilt.
Works very well, and isn't difficult to set for a perfect cut.
Regardless, I vote HR and weld. TIG works better with CR. But its just a little weld.

Daryl
MN

Container Above bottom breadcrumb