Cutter Recommendation Please

Subwayrocket

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for a decent face mill 2" and 3"+ . Need the R8 shanks and holders too, or integrated. Not many of them have good reviews from Shars, BHS, Grizzly. I'm Looking for budget stuff that's semi decent, I dont want to wreck a high end tool while learning but I don't want to waste money on complete garbage either. Machine is a PM-940 . Please post links if possible or part#, Thanks much !

Last edited:
with a little patience and perseverance, all of the items can be purchased used from swap meets,craigslist, or Ebay- at a discount.
most of the tools nowadays seem to fit into 1 or 2 category.
High End $$$$
Cheap Junk :bang head::bang head::bang head:

i have purchased and use both as the situation requires.
i know a few that put 3/4" straight shanks on all of their interchangeables, and keep an R8-3/4" collet in the spindle full time- for ease.
i hope the info helps out

Some have made their own lathe and milling tools and suggested the best inserts to use.
Lots of posts here if you do a search.

The fly cutter is easy to make. Cheap ones are fine also. It is the tool bit you use that does the work. 5/16 or 3/8 lathe bits. For boring head and face mill watch eBay.
If it is in your budget here is quality face mills at a reasonable price. look at the fm45's
https://www.glacern.com/fm45

The fly cutter is easy to make. Cheap ones are fine also. It is the tool bit you use that does the work. 5/16 or 3/8 lathe bits. For boring head and face mill watch eBay.
If it is in your budget here is quality face mills at a reasonable price. look at the fm45's
https://www.glacern.com/fm45
Thanks , and yes that's well within the budget. I've gotten a few recommendations on the Glacern face fills. I use ebay quite a bit in other areas I have experience in, but not mill tooling and accessories. This helps, Thank you !

What is the purpose of the wire he used when clamping the piece? Why not clamp between the 2 jaw faces?

The wire is the ground strap. Keeps the face mill from arcing over and zapping the operator.

I use plumber's lead instead of copper wire. Don't get zap so bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Either material keeps the material from crawling out of the vise. It also compensates for any variations of inaccuracy in the material, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Back