Cutoff blade holder-holder question

Reddinr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I inherited a cut-off blade and blade holder. I can't seem to find a tall tool holder that will hold this huge thing. Any ideas of where to look? Here are the details:

The blade holder is meant to be held by some sort of tool post or holder. The blade is 7/8" high x 1/8". The holder for the blade is rectangular, 1.375" high x 3/4" wide and is meant to extend out of the post/holder toward the work about an inch or so. I have a CXA style quick change tool post. I'm kind of excited to try it to see the difference in parting with this vs. the one I got with the lathe which is a 1/2" x 3/32" blade. Of course I don't to spend much money either.

I was even thinking about milling off the clamping part of one cheap holder and welding/bolting just the top 1/4 of another one to it. I have no idea what those $25 holders are made from though, may not be not weldable.

It sounds like the blade holder that you have is meant to mount in a large rocker tool post. It will not work with your CXA sized QCTP. What you need is a different cutoff tool block that fits your CXA tool post and will accept a 7/8" high cutoff blade.

I think you're right. I like the extension/support the holder provides toward the work piece. Maybe I'll see what kind of rocker tool post I can make fit on the compound.

7EightsCutoffTool.JPG
Here is a similar holder. Had to figure out how to do the picture thing again. I bit the bullet and ordered a rocker tool-post for it, like the one below. I was hoping I could cheap out and rig something but all the options I could think of were either too time consuming or would have cost about the same and maybe not be rigid enough. I've always had issues with cut-off like a lot of people. I've tried all the tricks I've read about (sharp, square, at center, lock down everything, lube, tight gibs etc.). I'm hoping the mass of this larger tool will help. Will get back in a few days once I've tried it out. Thanks all for looking and for the advice.

ToolPost.JPG

I have a cut off blade holder holder, don't remember where I got it but it works good, also have a aloris
IMG_0868.JPG

Am I using my cutoff tool incorrrectly?

I've got one like the image in post #5, and clamping it in my 4-way tool post just using the flat part, so the "blade" is being held horizontally. But looking that the image in post #6, it looks like I should instead be clamping it so the bulge at the front of the tool should be used to hold the front of the holder up, so the "blade" is presented to the work at an upward angle. Is that the correct way to use it?

Last edited:
Here's a little better pic of the business end
IMG_0869.JPG

Good question about the angle. I guess I have the same question.

Yes, there should be a bit of an upward angle. My Phase II tool block / cutoff tool holder holds the cutoff blade at 5° from horizontal.

When using a rocker tool post type of cutoff tool holder, most of them will hold the blade at about 5° when the tool holder is set level.

Reactions: Guv
Back