Cut the Gib?

Those are not quite the same thing. I've actually never seen anything quite like it elsewhere. On the monarch, there carriage is held against the bottom of the bed ways with 4 ball bearings. the play between the bearings and the ways are adjusted by eccentric screws, the heads of which are knurled on the outside. The knurls engage with the things I'm calling "clamp rings" for lack of a better name. These are also knurled, and engage with the knurls in the adjustment screws. Honestly, it's a really weird setup. I'll post some pics if I have some time tonight. I don't think they would be too hard to make... unless I'm missing something.

Monarch calls them "lock collars".

Here's a photo of a rear "take up bearing" assembly. The lock collar is near the center, at the bottom of the frame:
IMG_6661.jpg

They are basically a washer with a countersink for the screw and a set of gear-like teeth on the OD. I suppose the teeth could be made with the right straight knurl, but I have no idea where you would get the knurl.

That would be a tough part to make. Your best bet would be to call Monarch and see if they have any old/used stock.

Cal

IMG_6661.jpg

So the countersunk screw locks down, holding the eccentric in place? Seems an odd, but effective method. I believe I have some straight knurls, but not sure they are that coarse.

So the countersunk screw locks down, holding the eccentric in place? Seems an odd, but effective method. I believe I have some straight knurls, but not sure they are that coarse.
Yes, it actually works very well.

I have one set of straight knurls; no idea if they are the right pitch. Monarch may have used some sort of external broach.

I guess if I needed one, I would machine the blank then file enough teeth on it to lock the eccentric. You would have to remove the lock collar any time you adjusted things, but that doesn't happen very often here. I have enough wear on my bed that the hold down bearings can't be used, otherwise they would bind at the ends, and I don't have any issues for the type of parts that I do, so this really isn't a critical part IMHO.

Cal

Back