Cut Some Threads In A Drill Chuck?

CarlosA

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I consider myself experienced and capable, but have never attempted this. I have a big old drill chuck that i`m thinking about threading to screw onto my micro mill 3/4-16 spindle. Has anyone done something like this?

As far as I can see it would be pretty simple:

1. Turn an arbor in a collet on my lathe.
  2. Tighten the chuck jaws onto the arbor
  3. Single point the threads inside the chuck body
  4. Face off the back of the chuck for a sort of "register" since that is how the mill registers attachments
  5. Gain back about 2 inches of room that I need in order to ream out a series of holes
I may also bore the chuck through so that I can gain an extra inch for the reamer. Currently i`m using a chuck on a 1MT arbor - which is impossible to adapt to special needs like this.

I see no reason you couldn't do that other than possibly, but not likely, that it is too hard. Sounds like a very reasonable task, and a good idea.

I see no reason you couldn't do that other than possibly, but not likely, that it is too hard. Sounds like a very reasonable task, and a good idea.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I did drill through the base of the chuck long ago to drive out a stuck taper arbor, so as long as any hardening doesn't reach through to the taper it should be good to go.

I have a Jacobs chuck that screws onto my 618 spindle and has a through hole for longer stuff. It is the most used chuck that I have.

I think it a good idea if you can pull it off.

David

I have a Jacobs chuck that screws onto my 618 spindle and has a through hole for longer stuff. It is the most used chuck that I have.

I think it a good idea if you can pull it off.

David

I've been watching ebay for one of those!

My Logan 400 came with a spindle chuck. *Very* useful (especially as I don't have a three jaw chuck.)
When I started out in this hobby, an old time machinist told me " real men don't use three jaw chucks". Took his advice and bought a 4 jaw independent and have never looked back.

It is all about what you get used to.

David

When I started out in this hobby, an old time machinist told me " real men don't use three jaw chucks". Took his advice and bought a 4 jaw independent and have never looked back.

It is all about what you get used to.

David
Certainly if you are only going to have one chuck it should be a four-jaw, but the spindle chuck makes working on anything round and under .75" much less tedious. It also grips stock that is too small for the four-jaw. And I'd like to have a three-jaw even it would make me a wimp.

Back