Custom Bicycle

I modified the fork by adding a tab with a hole. I modified a torque arm so I can lock it to the tab with a screw. This will prevent the axle from spinning in the dropout and also locks the wheel in the fork. Much safer design I think...

37556622101_b3028b64f3_h.jpg

37556642241_814c7a5ba6_h.jpg

In the first pic you can see my 21.2 mm washer. I had to reduce the diameter to nest in the forged impressions in the fork.

A little more sandblasting, some rust converting primer in the fork tube, and then paint! I plan to strip the stupid looking black rings off the motor cover too.
Robert

Last edited:
Ever wonder how these work?

37299495260_d5b8d81cc4_h.jpg

Robert

....part of me says "judicious application of Maxwell's equations", but another part of me says "Magic".
-brino

...part of me says, "will it run if I can get it back together."
Robert

Stripped the dumb looking covers:

37594679882_449f37495a_h.jpg

Working on the box to hold the controller and battery:

36956085013_32c07441ca_h.jpg

37627056991_6653849cc7_h.jpg

So far so good!
I have a deadline! Sunday is 704 open streets!
http://openstreets704.com/

I am not at all sure I can have it together, even without painting...

Robert

Using my lathe as a mill! Homemade boring tool. Angle plate. Needed a 1.125 semicircle to clamp to the seatpost.

1508033311588.png

1508033368942.png

Not completely finished but ready for open streets tomorrow!

1508033419308.png

So aesthetically speaking- should I paint the front hub black instead of raw aluminum? Should I paint the aluminum box silver-gray matching the frame?

Robert

Last edited:
Did you mention the total weight somewhere? Is it uncomfortably wide across the pedals? I would have used a jackshaft and more conventional bottom bracket)

Very nice work. Re your question on aesthetics, I am trying to visualize the aluminum box in flat black to match the trunk box and a spoke pattern painted on the front hub to match the 5 spoke rear wheel.

Very nice work. Re your question on aesthetics, I am trying to visualize the aluminum box in flat black to match the trunk box and a spoke pattern painted on the front hub to match the 5 spoke rear wheel.

Interesting to do the box in black. I didn't think of that. Not crazy about the spoke idea since there are already conventional spokes up front.
This was fine to pedal before, but now it weighs a lot. The motorized wheel, battery and box probably add up to 40 lbs alone. I could lighten up the box but it doesn't seem worth it for a few pounds.
The jackshaft idea was discussed. It is un-workable unless you plan to build a recumbent bike or move the rear tire way back like a drag bike. I calculated I would need to move the rear wheel back at least 14".
Robert

Just had a quick think, I see where you could have 'foot clearance' problems with 'conventional styling but a simpler way would be to mount 'front' chain on left side and have jackshaft roughly where front of rack is behind seat tube. Cross shaft out far enough to clear tyre. Deraillure would need re-locating to accomodate new drive chain angle though. Maybe something to think of for the next one? (pretty sure that once you've built one special, you will build another?) :cool:

Back