Custom Bicycle

My plan was just to drill holes in the ends of a shaft and braze in the square taper from the original bottom bracket. That will prevent me from having to machine and harden the taper. Thoughts?
Robert

Last edited:
What type of machine do you Have? I have a 1hp mill (1800 lbs though) and I think it could cut the square drive
I am only guessing though. I would be concerned about brazing that to the axle. You are already putting a 10" axle on it.
Also I have welded axles before. Then welded a tube on the outside of it for more strength. That was before I started using machinist tools. Cut the axle in the center add a piece of shaft, than weld the tube over. For a bicycle it will be sufficient.
Think the older single piece axle with roller bearings. They are.much easier.to work with and customize.

Sounds like you are having some fun vbg
Rich

I only have a lathe. SB10K.

In other news; I bought a bike:

34206731372_945a5d986f_b.jpg

Here's the frame:

33983986200_237dc73fac_h.jpg

My brother lent me his tubing bender:

33961181150_8929b1aa4b_h.jpg

i like the bender robert, looks like a conduit bender. Very stout looking. Nice to have the big dies for bending frame pieces. To big to make the tight bends on rear, but you can get pretty creative there if need be.
Using bottom bracket tubes and head tube bearings from existing bikes is a good idea. The bottom bracket tube can be extended to any size you need.
I like your front forks, they will fit right in with hd look you seem to be headed in.
With a good set of head tube bearings and a lathe, you are not limited to stock bike parts, you can create anything you need.

nice progress, keep it coming!!!
rich

33733201053_c8f6b92f0d_c.jpg

34502373416_b9f32c9735_h.jpg

Never thought I would use my tool post grinder as much as I have. Took these hardened shafts down to .625 very easily. These will get brazed into a larger shaft to make a long crank spindle.
Robert

Last edited:
33760024774_246d35dc91_h.jpg

33793434593_be237cf746_h.jpg

Robert

Attachments

• Adapter- ISO theaded hub to HD wheel.pdf
    187.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
If you mean sidewalks then...yes.
R

If you mean sidewalks then...yes.
R
Oh I guess it's a kinda show bike , I just figured with wide tires be good in sand and dirt. Still looks interesting nice job on the build so far.

Back