Custom Bicycle

I have never used a wheel like you are, but if I did, I would make up a hub, it would carry the thread for the casset than weld that to my hub. From there you have the mounting for your rim/tire. You can even make your own brake disc and one of the many bicycle disc brake kits.

This is a 15" steel rim I had, I removed the steel center section and drilled it for spokes and spoked it up With bicycle spokes. The axle is a steell unit I purchased new for something like 5.00 dollars. Cut it up, welded a center tube to it. Than it was just a matter of mounting it
IMG_20130209_124104.jpg

Hth Robert

Rich

The reason i started getting interested in machining was because building a custom bike requires a lot of custom metal fabrication and machining. A lathe and mill are a big plus

I have never used a wheel like you are, but if I did, I would make up a hub, it would carry the thread for the casset than weld that to my hub. From there you have the mounting for your rim/tire. You can even make your own brake disc and one of the many bicycle disc brake kits.

This is a 15" steel rim I had, I removed the steel center section and drilled it for spokes and spoked it up With bicycle spokes. The axle is a steell unit I purchased new for something like 5.00 dollars. Cut it up, welded a center tube to it. Than it was just a matter of mounting it
View attachment 231820

Hth Robert

Rich

Great idea. I will do that. Working on getting a splined hub that I can weld to a plate and then bolt that to the wheel using the standard holes. I am thinking I will use HD bearings and use bushing to reduce the axle size. Maybe 1/2"?
R

Just keep in mind the human body is only good for about 1/4 horse power. Weight is not your friend

Rich

I will use HD bearings and use bushing to reduce the axle size. Maybe 1/2"?

I am not sure it matters, depending on how you plan to address the sprocket on the axle, whether a thread for the casset, or welding on, you can do almost anything you want.

Rich

I made a bearing installation tool and learned how to install wheel bearings. Then I mounted a tire for the first time with hand tools. I had trouble with one part of the bead setting. I let the air out and set that part first. Eventually got it set @ 60 PSI. Makes a beautiful sound.

33945402160_117104c809_h.jpg

You can see the unfinished axle laying in the background.

Robert

So I am designing the bottom bracket which will require a 10" crank spindle. I was planning on using a ground shaft of carbon steel which is called "medium hard" Brinell 167. Will I be able to drill and machine that?
Robert

Still watching and loving your project Robert. Can't wait to see where you are going with this.
No ideas on the machinability of your steel. I hope it works for you...

Rich

If I read the conversion chart correctly, that would place it around a Rockwell rating of about 87... that would put it up there.
You do have heavy machines... right?
Can you aneal and temper it afterward?

Back