• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Custom Bicycle

rwm

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
My plan was just to drill holes in the ends of a shaft and braze in the square taper from the original bottom bracket. That will prevent me from having to machine and harden the taper. Thoughts?
Robert

Last edited:

richl

Active User
What type of machine do you Have? I have a 1hp mill (1800 lbs though) and I think it could cut the square drive
I am only guessing though. I would be concerned about brazing that to the axle. You are already putting a 10" axle on it.
Also I have welded axles before. Then welded a tube on the outside of it for more strength. That was before I started using machinist tools. Cut the axle in the center add a piece of shaft, than weld the tube over. For a bicycle it will be sufficient.
Think the older single piece axle with roller bearings. They are.much easier.to work with and customize.

Sounds like you are having some fun vbg
Rich

rwm

Active User
I only have a lathe. SB10K.

In other news; I bought a bike:

Here's the frame:

My brother lent me his tubing bender:

richl

Active User
i like the bender robert, looks like a conduit bender. Very stout looking. Nice to have the big dies for bending frame pieces. To big to make the tight bends on rear, but you can get pretty creative there if need be.
Using bottom bracket tubes and head tube bearings from existing bikes is a good idea. The bottom bracket tube can be extended to any size you need.
I like your front forks, they will fit right in with hd look you seem to be headed in.
With a good set of head tube bearings and a lathe, you are not limited to stock bike parts, you can create anything you need.

nice progress, keep it coming!!!
rich

rwm

Active User

Never thought I would use my tool post grinder as much as I have. Took these hardened shafts down to .625 very easily. These will get brazed into a larger shaft to make a long crank spindle.
Robert

Last edited:

rwm

Active User
Thanks! Yes, a show bike. It will be hard to pedal with the 14" wide crankset!
Question: I need to attach the crank spindle end shown previously to a new shaft. I have ground the spindle to .625 and it fits into a corresponding hole in the end of the 20 mm shaft. What is the best method to do this without distortion? I could TIG it but I am afraid of warping it. I am considering TIG brazing with Silicon bronze or Silver solder with a small Ox/Propane torch. I am not sure the Ox/Prop torch can get these large pieces hot enough to braze.

It's almost time for a ride!

Robert

Last edited:

Silverbullet

If you take your time tig welding will work well. Do a few tacks around the shaft let it cool down completely, then do a few more let it cool down as before it make take several hours but I don't think it will warp or bend if you consistently repeat till the parts are welded up. I would not rush it or use water to quick cool that would encourage a warp and metal changes from heat and cold. You could use the tig braze with your rods but use the same process.
Good luck it does look cool , BIG banana seat with backrest . I use to build lots of bikes in the sixties and seventies , we didn't have money or even a WELDER , but free bikes from the dump , I had all kinds of fun , three person , trailers , long trikes . Oh the memories .

rwm

Active User
So I decided to TIG braze the ends of the crank spindle:

Here you can see one end as brazed and the other after a few passes with the lathe to clean it up:

Looks great!:

Not so fast...total failure! I was shocked but the braze joint failed after applying moderate torque. I can't believe it or explain it. I suspect that melting of the steel caused the formation of brittle intermetallics resulting in a weak joint. You can't alloy bronze with steel and know how strong it will be. Soooooo...now to try to get off the bronze and use conventional TIG to weld the ends on.
More in the saga later.
Robert

richl

Active User
Sorry to hear robert, I was really looking forward to hearing your success story. Tire really looks awesome.
Looking forward to more updates!
Rich

Silverbullet

Is the tire on back direction marked? Not trying to had anymore work but it looks backwards like a tractor tire , I'm not sure it may be made that way for rain wet roads I'm asking. It really looks good waiting to see next step.
Is the crank connection with the rod just flat and welded to each side? If yes your going to need to v it and build up the weld and then turn in your lathe to size. If it's made to slide into the shaft you could pin it and weld , several ways you can or could do it still.

Last edited:

rwm

Active User
The tire is mounted backwards. I was hoping no one would notice! The crank spindle ends sit in holes bored in the ends of the shaft 3/4" deep. I plan to just weld the perimeter.
Robert
EDIT: It was intentional. For bicycle applications you are supposed to run the tire backwards. ; )
R

rwm

Active User
Good ol' TIG.

Then on the tool post grinder. I had to take down the weld beads so they would fit through the bearings.

R

dlane

Active User
Is there a back brake ? Rear disk brake would be slick

rwm

Active User
No rear brake yet. I will be putting a Shimano disc on it. Maybe on the front too!
Robert

rwm

Active User
I think it looks badass!

I just bought a Shimano XT rear disc brake on eBay. Now I need to figure out how to mount it. My plan is to weld a tab on the bottom rail of the left side of the rear triangle. I will machine an adapter plate to go from the Harley bolt pattern to the disc pattern.

I would love to convert the front to a disc also. I assume it would be a bad idea to try to weld to the front fork? I am assuming that is an oil filled shock that would not like to be welded? I guess I can run the rim brake while I look for a new front setup...

Robert

Last edited:

Tozguy

Active User
The tire is mounted backwards. I was hoping no one would notice!
Robert
EDIT: It was intentional. For bicycle applications you are supposed to run the tire backwards. ; )
R
Braking should be better that way. :)
Neat bike, thanks for sharing.

Silverbullet

Looking good , any plans on bling is that the word or jazzy it up. Chrome fenders or tail lights little bullet light's? In my day we had banana seats with ram handle bars.

Tozguy

Active User
I like the clean, all business look but a set of wheelie bars sticking out the back would be awesome!

rwm

Active User
Here is a sidebar rant for the few people who are watching this thread:

What the heck is wrong with these bicycle people????
Apparently "alloy" means aluminum. Only aluminum. They do not consider Chromoly an alloy! (or any other steels or Titanium.)
Apparently, the wheel/tire sizes are not accurate and even deliberately falsified to give the impression of lighter weight. A 26 x 2-1/4 tire will not fit a 26 x 2.25 wheel! The decimal expression is a different size.
They will not put on kickstand on the bike due to the extra weight even though the kickstand weighs 1/10th of the weight of the water bottle they are carrying.
They specify bottom bracket diameters in millimeters with threads that are imperial TPI!
Trek, a well known manufacturer, was naming their bikes after fish for a while. I want a bike called the Flounder...

Feel free to add to this list.

Robert

Container Above bottom breadcrumb