Curious Find

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I recently acquired a piece of 1.75x19" pristine round stock that has been bored and rifled to what appears to be .50 caliber. Looking down the bore it appears to be a slow twist. I haven't measured it but I will. It is not chambered. This is not a rusty old hunk of junk. The bore is absolutely perfect. There is no rust inside or out.

Now this presents an opportunity. Any suggestions?

Has the OD been profiled at all? If not then it may have just been a practice piece for boring and rifling. Without knowing what the material is its a bit iffy for putting to use.

Cheers Phil

My first suggestion is to add a picture or two to the thread. Then we go from there.

"Billy G"

Just guessing perhaps a black powder rifle, but its not long enough.

My first suggestion is to add a picture or two to the thread. Then we go from there.

"Billy G"

I'll post a picture but don't know what good it will do, just looks like a piece of pipe. I'll try to get the twist.

Do you have a way to get a Rockwell "C" hardness check done on the piece?

.50 cal BP pistol project.
To get the twist; use a rod or dowel wrapped with a piece of rag for a good snug fit in the bore. Start it in to the barrel, make a mark on the rod, measure the stickout and push it in, allowing the rod to spin following the rifling, for one full revolution. Measure the new stickout and subtract from original and you have your 1 in ? Twist.
Harder to explain than do.

Stan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done it many times. The twist is approx. one in twelve. The bore is absolutely pristine. I'll try to get a Rockwell C reading.

Might do some research to see if any fire arm manufacturers in the area.

Back