cup centering tool

Chris Hamel

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Found this idea in a book called "101 Metalworking Projects" It is used to center punch the end of round stock so you can center drill and mount in the lathe. My lathe spindle will only allow about 3/4" to pass through, so when I work with pieces larger diameter than that, with lengths greater than a few inches, I was always fighting getting an accurate center. The project came out pretty good, the only problem I had was the steel I used for the pin wouldn't harden sufficiently. I remade it with different metal and I think it will hold up now. I tried it and as long as I hold it vertical, my centers come out pretty close.

20170113_194425.jpg

20170113_194511.jpg

Chris Hamel,
Thanks for the post and for the idea.
Looks like you are relatively new here. Glad to see you are making stuff!!
Finding center of a shaft is always a problem and certainly is critical.
Thanks for the post!!

Daryl
MN

Makes complete sense to me!!

Daryl
MN

Nice job.

Here is a link to part 1 of (I think) a 3 part video by Tubal Cain (AKA mrpetes) on making a cup centering tool.

Last edited:
Using a center head with scale and scribing a few intersecting lines and then center punching the scribed intersection will achieve the same results…Dave

I remember using one of these as a kid. Don't know what ever happened to it. I had forgotten all about it, thanks for the memory.

CHuck the grumpy one

make the tool! :encourage:
You will enjoy the process and gain experience and have a tool you made! watch mrpetes videos on this. As to its usefulness you will be able to find the center and punch it in one easy step. It works! and is quicker than marking out the lines and then having to hunt down your punch that's always hiding :frown:

Back