Cunliffe Mill Electrical Problems

Ahhhhhh..... that's much easier to read... thanks buddy :)

My RPC is a 10hp unit and has no problem in starting the mill in the low speed setting. I don't believe that the issue is the RPC, at least on my mill. I am wondering if one of the contacts on the switch is bad and not allowing all 3 phases to get to the motor on the high speed setting. Right now, I have the mill just about completely torn down, trying to repair the feed gears for the knee, so the electrical issue has taken a back burner for now.

Brian :)

Ahhhhhh..... that's much easier to read... thanks buddy :)

My RPC is a 10hp unit and has no problem in starting the mill in the low speed setting. I don't believe that the issue is the RPC, at least on my mill. I am wondering if one of the contacts on the switch is bad and not allowing all 3 phases to get to the motor on the high speed setting. Right now, I have the mill just about completely torn down, trying to repair the feed gears for the knee, so the electrical issue has taken a back burner for now.

Brian :)
From what I can gather from testing my mates one it has two separate sets of windings in the motor one for high and one for low. Have you tried disconnecting the motor and hitting the start button this will verify your control wiring is OK if the contactor stays pulled in. After that I would do resistance checks on the motor to check of it is OK I could talk you through this if you wanted and compare readings. I'm thinking of connecting my mates one to a diesel generator to rule out the RPC at least I know that that will hammer the power in and will show any problems I can just check for smoke ha.

Hello Mike :)

No, I hadn't even thought of doing that to try the start button with the motor disconnected. I'll give that a try on the weekend, as this week, I'm working outdoors as a carpenter in 30* heat and battling clouds of blackflies, so by the time I get home I'm beat...

Brian

Sorry this one gets a bit long. Maybe it will be of some help to someone.
Was this trouble ever solved? This reminds me of the troubles with the early Tiawan mill at work. it's old ,has no paperwork ect. Most if the low voltage controls have failed and Ben disconnected. Some by me. I switched wiring so the low speed worked. Eventually the motor starter failed. I switch the high speed for the low speed and it seemed to run fine.
Then the motor started to smoke and shut down. Turn it on run for 15 20 seconds puff smoke and shut down.
Sent the motor in for repair and was told all was good with no sign of burning to cause the smoke. Reinstalled it same problem.
Brought in a service tech that said it was ok good to go.it wasn't.
I then ignored the mill for a year or two.
One day with a fresh mind I went at it and realised that I had both the low speed windings AND the high speed windings wired together. I disconnected the high speed wires and now it runs fine on low. With some new parts and knowledge I would think I could now get the high speed to run.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back