Cross-Slide Vise Under $100

Cozz

Registered
Registered
Jewelling, EngineTurning, Damascasing, call it what you will, I have some Marlin 60 and Ruger 10/22 rifle bolts that I want to give the treatment, I have no mill at this time so a cross-slide vise on my drill press seems to be a viable, cost-effective way to get it done.
Currently contemplating THIS Palmgren unit I'd be appreciative of any advice the membership may have regarding their experience with the Palmgren or other cross-slide vises.
I'll be trying out the Cratex 1/4" round rods for the grinding.
Thanks in advance

Sage advice, more versatile and at the price of that Phase II it's a no-brainer. Thanks for sharing knudsen, much appreciated.

author=Cozz link=topic=518.msg2348#msg2348 date=1294104494
Jewelling, EngineTurning, Damascasing, call it what you will, I have some Marlin 60 and Ruger 10/22 rifle bolts that I want to give the treatment, I have no mill at this time so a cross-slide vise on my drill press seems to be a viable, cost-effective way to get it done.
Currently contemplating THIS Palmgren unit I'd be appreciative of any advice the membership may have regarding their experience with the Palmgren or other cross-slide vises.
I'll be trying out the Cratex 1/4" round rods for the grinding.
Thanks in advance
heres how to do that engine turned effect with just a drill press,wine cork,and valve lapping compound,for smaller circles i use a pencil eraser (cheap pencils are best because the erasers are rock hard..
P4270376.jpg;
i thread a screw that requires a wrench,not a screwdriver and voila!
P4270378.jpg
P4280384.jpg this was done by pencil eraser..

Last edited by a moderator:
author=chengdave2003 link=topic=518.msg7466#msg7466 date=1300888187
Dang Gary....now I got something else to try!!!!

Can you give any tips, or do you just put the lapping compound on the eraser (etc) and go for it?

Dave
hi dave! yeah thats pretty much it,or ill spread a thin film and do the overlap, then it helps to spot the pattern,ill put the first circle dead center then work from there..havnt done any since those pieces i posted,gonna have to do another round,id like to see what else a person could use for applicators,ive thought about those replaceable pool que tips,been considering how it would work with a hand drill,since ive got the primary off my shovel right now ive been sizing up my cases.. ;D, id like to do a band of it on the cases to kinda pay homage to details like the excelsiors and such sported..
youl have fun with it. 8)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back