Cross Slide Indicator Holder

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
There have been many versions of this valuable tool , but this is my take on it. A while back , i posted my version of a "poor man's DRO" for the lathe cross slide. It was a round bar with a bracket for an indicator. Well ...... this is the "improved" version and I like it a lot better. It is easy to make.
indicator holder 2.jpg I started with an aluminum bar 1" x 1/2" x 12 1/4" long. I milled a .270" wide slot 7.50" long and then milled another slot .440" wide x 8.0" long and .125" deep on top of the previous slot. Then a little polishing ...:D

indicator holder 5.jpg I next made an aluminum block 1" thick x 1.20" wide x 4" long. I milled a slot to fit the bar, drilled a hole corresponding to the slot, and cut a piece of aluminum angle for the mounting .....some more polishing ...:D
IMAG0064.jpg
This is a bottom view of the assembly.

IMAG0063.jpg
And a top view of the assembly.

indicator holder 6.jpg Here is the finished item, installed and with a couple fancy knobs. Total cost for knobs and bolts ... $6... rest from my .... .. uhhhh...."inventory storage" (scrap box).:D

I love this so much better than the old "thing" I had rigged. it is very sturdy and does not vibrate or move.

I made an addition to this little project. I turned a piece of aluminum into a cover to protect the indicator when not in use. I turned a recess into an aluminum disc the diameter of the indicator and it sets on top of the indicator to protect it.
indicator cover.jpg indicator.jpg

Very nice. I like the recess for holding the bolt head. I must remember that little trick.

Back