Cross Slide Dro For Mini Lathe

DaveInPA

Active User
Registered
I have a Big Dog Metal Works 7x14 mini lathe built by Real Bull. I've been wanting some kind of DRO for the cross slide to increase my accuracy. I originally planned to use a hacked up digital caliper but couldn't find or figure out a mount design that I liked. Instead, I made a mount for a Harbor Freight digital indicator from some 3/4" angle aluminum and attached it to one of the holes for attaching a follower rest. I got the idea for this from a post I saw on MadModder.net.

x-slide-dro-top.jpg

You can also see the sheet metal chip guard I previously added to the saddle. It helps a lot to keep the ways clean.

Side view:

x-slide-dro-side.jpg

The indicator is attached to the mounting bracket with a 3/4" long 1/4x20 screw and nut.

I'll probably need to fab up some kind of splash guard to protect the indicator from lubricant spray and scarf. A piece of Lexan with a magnet glued to it should work for that.

It looks like a good solution, Dave! The only suggestion that I might add is to mount the indicator on a magnetic mount and a steel plate on your aluminum angle. That way you can extend your travel beyond the 1" travel range of the digital indicator (that's borrowed from another post as well).

Thanks for that suggestion, RJ. I will keep it in mind if I need more cross slide travel.

Back