Crazy idea or not? End mill holder for WT 15in drill press

Quote:
The taper on the spindle is a male JT33 according to the manual. After reading your post and PM I thought hard about making a collet chuck (didn't make much sense to make a JT33>MT1 adapter to use a MT1>ER collet adapter) but doing the male threads for the collet nut is beyond my abilities right now. Seemed to make more sense just to make an 3/8 end mill holder - I can't see myself using larger end mills than that!

Matt, I'm sure that you will do just fine cutting threads even if it is your first time. I was as nervous as a three legged cat on a hot tin roof when I cut the threads on my quill as it was my very first time. They turned out just fine, although maybe not perfect as far as the books go. For me it was the last tiny cuts that counted. As far as your drill is concerned I thought that you probably had a number 3 morse taper like mine. If not, I'm sure you will find a solution. I know what worked for me so I thought I would pass it along. Milling with it is by no means accurate, but like you say, and for me too, it's better than a hacksaw and file and rotory tool. Enjoy whichever works out for you, that's what it's all about.
:thumbsup:

thanks Overthehill! Sadly my inability to thread isn't just because I don't have the skills, but also because my lathe doesn't have a leadscrew :)

I have a few projects to get to first, but this is definitely on my list. I'll post up a progress thread whenever I get started. Hopefully by then I wont get hypothermia everytime I work out in the garage!

I had to buy one to replace the original junk chuck on a variable speed Rockwell Chinese drill press I bought for the shop where I worked.

Do you mean Delta? Rockwell sold in 85' to Pentair who revived the Delta name. Rockwell never made/sold Chinese machines & always used Jacobs chucks. Although the chuck they used with the treaded collar was the lower end plain bearing chuck.

David

It has been several years. Might have been a Delta. It was variable speed reeves drive. The blasted thing made a lot of noise. I think I bought a better belt for it,but it was still so noisy I ended up just clamping a plastic 6" Irwin type clamp across the housing to quiet it down some. At least with the new Jacob's chuck it finally did run true. I think something about those variable diameter pulleys was not concentric. I just did not feel like tearing it apart and messing with it.

Yes,lower end plain bearing Jacob's chuck. The same as my 1963 Craftsman DP has with the locking collar. I paid $125.00 on sale for it. Guess you could multiply that by 10 now. I was making $2.50 an hour teaching shop at the time. At lease,the chuck did run true,and does so to this day. Last year the original motor pooped out.

Yes,lower end plain bearing Jacob's chuck. The same as my 1963 Craftsman DP has with the locking collar. .

Is that by any chance a model 150 Craftsman DP? They made that from the mid 50's thru the mid 60's & it was a really nice machine. Like you, I don't want to rain on Matts parade but doubt that using a dp as a mill will give very satisfactory results. I think the lack of rigidity from the x-y table pictured will only compound the problem. I've found that even if you have the right machine, you're only half way there. Good quality tooling is a budget buster. It's not a cheap hobby. The shop I have took 30 yrs. to put together.

Yes,I think my drill press is the 150. Those numbers ring a bell.

no worries about being honest guys, I wouldn't ask for your advice if I thought you'd be anything else :) I'll give it a go and if it does turn out to be completely miserable as least I'll have learnt something and have an X-Y vise for drilling. One day I'll have the funds and stay in one place long enough to get some proper tools, but until then I'll have to make do with what I have.

I used an end mill on my dp and it worked (sort of) to mill some cast off my compound to make room for a quick change toolpost.

[video=youtube_share;fK1wQwrnCa4]http://youtu.be/fK1wQwrnCa4[/video]

And here's the fail.

[video=youtube_share;RDLmFl_zDf0]http://youtu.be/RDLmFl_zDf0[/video]

Back